10 CFR 73.72 - Requirement for advance notice of shipment of formula quantities of strategic special nuclear material, special nuclear material of moderate strategic significance, or irradiated reactor fuel.
(a) A licensee, other than one specified in paragraph (b) of this section, who, in a single shipment, plans to deliver to a carrier for transport, to take delivery at the point where a shipment is delivered to a carrier for transport, to import, to export, or to transport a formula quantity of strategic special nuclear material, special nuclear material of moderate strategic significance, or irradiated reactor fuel 4 required to be protected in accordance with § 73.37, shall:
(1) Notify in writing the Director, Division of Security Policy, Office of Nuclear Security and Incident Response, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555, using any appropriate method listed in § 73.4 of this part. Classified and safeguards notifications shall be sent to the NRC headquarters classified mailing address listed in appendix A to this part.
(2) Assure that the notification will be received at least 10 days before transport of the shipment commences at the shipping facility;
(3) Include the following information in the notification:
(i) The name(s), address(es), and telephone number(s) of the shipper, receiver, and carrier(s);
(ii) A physical description of the shipment:
(A) For a shipment other than irradiated fuel, the elements, isotopes, enrichment, and quantity;
(B) For a shipment of irradiated fuel, the physical form, quantity, type of reactor, and original enrichment;
(iii) A listing of the mode(s) of shipment, transfer point(s), and route(s) to be used;
(iv) The estimated time and date that shipment will commence and that each country along the route is scheduled to be entered; and
(v) The estimated time and date of arrival of the shipment at the destination;
(4) The NRC Headquarters Operations Center shall be notified about the shipment status by telephone at the phone numbers listed in appendix A to this part. Classified and safeguards notifications shall be made by secure telephone. The notifications shall take place at the following intervals:
(i) At least 2 days before commencement of the shipment;
(ii) Two hours before commencement of the shipment; and
(iii) Once the shipment is received at its destination.
(5) The NRC Headquarters Operations Center shall be notified by telephone of schedule changes of more than 6 hours at the phone numbers listed in appendix A to this part. Classified and safeguards notifications shall be made by secure telephone.
(b) A licensee who conducts an on-site transfer of spent nuclear fuel that does not travel upon or cross a public highway is exempt from the requirements of this section for that transfer.
Title 10 published on 2015-12-04
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 10 CFR Part 73 after this date.
- 10 CFR 110.27 — General License for Imports.
- 10 CFR 73.67 — Licensee Fixed Site and In-Transit Requirements for the Physical Protection of Special Nuclear Material of Moderate and Low Strategic Significance.
- 10 CFR 73.37 — Requirements for Physical Protection of Irradiated Reactor Fuel in Transit.
- 10 CFR 73.26 — Transportation Physical Protection Systems, Subsystems, Components, and Procedures.
- 10 CFR 73.6 — Exemptions for Certain Quantities and Kinds of Special Nuclear Material.