11 CFR § 9033.10 - Procedures for initial and final determinations.
(a) General. The Commission will follow the procedures set forth in this section when making an initial or final determination based on any of the following reasons.
(2) The candidate has failed to satisfy the matching payment threshold requirements, as provided in 11 CFR 9033.4;
(3) The candidate is no longer actively seeking nomination in more than one state, as provided in 11 CFR 9033.6;
(4) The candidate is an active candidate in an upcoming primary despite the candidate's assertion to the contrary, as provided in 11 CFR 9033.7;
(5) The Commission receives information indicating that the candidate has knowingly and substantially failed to comply with the disclosure requirements or exceeded the expenditure limits, as provided in 11 CFR 9033.9; or
(6) The Commission receives information indicating that substantial assets of the candidate's authorized committee have been undervalued or not included in the candidate's statement of net outstanding campaign obligations or that the amount of outstanding campaign obligations has been otherwise overstated in relation to committee assets, as provided in 11 CFR 9034.5(g).
(b) Initial determination. If the Commission makes an initial determination that a candidate may not receive matching funds for one or more of the reasons indicated in 11 CFR 9033.10(a), the Commission will notify the candidate of its initial determination. The notification will give the legal and factual reasons for the determination and advise the candidate of the evidence on which the Commission's initial determination is based. The candidate will be given an opportunity to comply with the requirements at issue or to submit, within the time provided by the relevant section as referred to in 11 CFR 9033.10(a), written legal or factual materials to demonstrate that the candidate has satisfied those requirements. Such materials may be submitted by counsel if the candidate so desires.
(c) Final determination. The Commission will consider any written legal or factual materials timely submitted by the candidate before making its final determination. A final determination that the candidate has failed to satisfy the requirements at issue will be accompanied by a written statement of reasons for the Commission's action. This statement will explain the legal and factual reasons underlying the Commission's determination and will summarize the results of any investigation upon which the determination is based.
(d) Effect on other determinations. If the Commission makes an initial determination under this section, but decides to take no further action at that time, the Commission may use the legal and factual bases on which the initial determination was based in any future repayment determination under 11 CFR part 9038 or 9039. A determination by the Commission under this section may be independent of any Commission decision to institute an enforcement proceeding under 52 U.S.C. 30109.