12 CFR § 1070.2 - General definitions.
For purposes of this part:
(a) Associate Director for Supervision, Enforcement and Fair Lending means the Associate Director for Supervision, Enforcement and Fair Lending of the CFPB or any CFPB employee to whom the Associate Director for Supervision, Enforcement and Fair Lending has delegated authority to act under this part.
(b) Business day means any day except Saturday, Sunday or a legal Federal holiday.
(c) CFPB means the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection.
(f) Confidential information means confidential consumer complaint information, confidential investigative information, and confidential supervisory information, as well as any other CFPB information that may be exempt from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 552(b). Confidential information does not include information contained in records that have been made publicly available by the CFPB or information that has otherwise been publicly disclosed by an employee, or agent of the CFPB, with the authority to do so. Confidential information obtained by a third party or otherwise incorporated in the records of a third party, including another agency, shall remain confidential information subject to this part.
(g) Confidential consumer complaint information means information received or generated by the CFPB through processes or procedures established under 12 U.S.C. 5493(b)(3), to the extent that such information is exempt from disclosure pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 552(b).
(h) Confidential investigative information means:
(1) Any documentary material, written report, or written answers to questions, tangible thing, or transcript of oral testimony received by the CFPB in any form or format pursuant to a civil investigative demand, as those terms are set forth in 12 U.S.C. 5562, or received by the CFPB voluntarily in lieu of a civil investigative demand; and
(2) Any other documents, materials, or records prepared by, on behalf of, received by, or for the use by the CFPB or any other Federal or State agency in the conduct of enforcement activities, and any information derived from such materials.
(i) Confidential supervisory information means:
(1) Reports of examination, inspection and visitation, non-public operating, condition, and compliance reports, supervisory letter, or similar document, and any information contained in, derived from, or related to such documents;
(2) Any documents, materials, or records, including reports of examination, prepared by, or on behalf of, or for the use of the CFPB or any other Federal, State, or foreign government agency in the exercise of supervisory authority over a financial institution, and any information derived from such documents, materials, or records;
(4) Any information provided to the CFPB by a financial institution for purposes of detecting and assessing risks to consumers and to markets for consumer financial products or services pursuant to 12 U.S.C. 5414(b)(1)(C), 5515(b)(1)(C), or 5516(b), or to assess whether an institution should be considered a covered person, as that term is defined by 12 U.S.C. 5481, or is subject to the CFPB's supervisory authority; and/or
(5) Information that is exempt from disclosure pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 552(b)(8).
(k) Employee means all current employees or officials of the CFPB, including contract personnel, the employees of the Office of the Inspector General of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and any other individuals who have been appointed by, or are subject to the supervision, jurisdiction, or control of the Director, as well as the Director. The procedures established within this part also apply to former employees where specifically noted.
(l) Financial institution means any person involved in the offering or provision of a “financial product or service,” including a “covered person” or “service provider,” as those terms are defined by 12 U.S.C. 5481.
(p) State means any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or the United States Virgin Islands or any federally recognized Indian tribe, as defined by the Secretary of the Interior under section 104(a) of the Federally Recognized Indian Tribe List Act of 1994 (25 U.S.C. 479a–1(a)), and includes any political subdivision thereof.