12 CFR 208.72 - What activities may a financial subsidiary conduct?
(a)Authorized activities. A financial subsidiary of a state member bank may engage in only the following activities:
(2) Any activity that the Secretary of the Treasury, in consultation with the Board, has determined to be financial in nature or incidental to a financial activity and permissible for financial subsidiaries pursuant to Section 5136A(b) of the Revised Statutes of the United States ( 12 U.S.C. 24a(b)); and
(3) Any activity that the state member bank is permitted to engage in directly (subject to the same terms and conditions that govern the conduct of the activity by the state member bank).
(1) Insuring, guaranteeing, or indemnifying against loss, harm, damage, illness, disability or death (except to the extent permitted under applicable state law and section 302 or 303(c) of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act ( 15 U.S.C. 6712 or 6713(c));
(2) Providing or issuing annuities the income of which is subject to tax treatment under section 72 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 ( 26 U.S.C. 72);
(3) Real estate development or real estate investment, unless otherwise expressly authorized by applicable state and Federal law; and
(4) Any merchant banking or insurance company investment activity permitted for financial holding companies by section 4(k)(4)(H) or (I) of the Bank Holding Company Act ( 12 U.S.C. 1843(k)(4)(H) and (I)).