12 CFR 225.23 - Expedited action for certain nonbanking proposals by well-run bank holding companies.
(a) Filing of notice -
(1) Information required. A bank holding company that meets the requirements of paragraph (c) of this section may satisfy the notice requirement of this subpart in connection with the acquisition of voting securities or assets of a company engaged in nonbanking activities that the Board has permitted by order or regulation (other than an insured depository institution), 2 or a proposal to engage de novo, either directly or indirectly, in a nonbanking activity that the Board has permitted by order or by regulation, by providing the appropriate Reserve Bank with a written notice containing the following:
2 A bank holding company may acquire voting securities or assets of a savings association or other insured depository institution that is not a bank by using the procedures in § 225.14 of subpart B if the bank holding company and the proposal qualify under that section as if the savings association or other institution were a bank for purposes of that section.
(i) A certification that all of the criteria in paragraph (c) of this section are met;
(ii) A description of the transaction that includes identification of the companies involved in the transaction, the activities to be conducted, and a commitment to conduct the proposed activities in conformity with the Board's regulations and orders governing the conduct of the proposed activity;
(iii) If the proposal involves an acquisition of a going concern:
(A) If the bank holding company has consolidated assets of $1 billion or more, an abbreviated consolidated pro forma balance sheet for the acquiring bank holding company as of the most recent quarter showing credit and debit adjustments that reflect the proposed transaction, consolidated pro forma risk-based capital ratios for the acquiring bank holding company as of the most recent quarter, a description of the purchase price and the terms and sources of funding for the transaction, and the total revenue and net income of the company to be acquired;
(B) If the bank holding company has consolidated assets of less than $1 billion, a pro forma parent-only balance sheet as of the most recent quarter showing credit and debit adjustments that reflect the proposed transaction, a description of the purchase price and the terms and sources of funding for the transaction and the sources and schedule for retiring any debt incurred in the transaction, and the total assets, off-balance sheet items, revenue and net income of the company to be acquired;
(C) For each insured depository institution whose Tier 1 capital, total capital, total assets or risk-weighted assets change as a result of the transaction, the total risk-weighted assets, total assets, Tier 1 capital and total capital of the institution on a pro forma basis;
(iv) Identification of the geographic markets in which competition would be affected by the proposal, a description of the effect of the proposal on competition in the relevant markets, a list of the major competitors in that market in the proposed activity if the affected market is local in nature, and, if requested, the market indexes for the relevant market; and
(v) A description of the public benefits that can reasonably be expected to result from the transaction.
(2) Waiver of unnecessary information. The Reserve Bank may reduce the information requirements in paragraphs (a)(1) (iii) and (iv) of this section as appropriate.
(1) Action on proposals under this section. The Board or the appropriate Reserve Bank shall act on a proposal submitted under this section, or notify the bank holding company that the transaction is subject to the procedure in § 225.24, within 12 business days following the filing of all of the information required in paragraph (a) of this section.
(2) Acceptance of notice if expedited procedure not available. If the Board or the Reserve Bank determines, after the filing of a notice under this section, that a bank holding company may not use the procedure in this section and must file a notice under § 225.24, the notice shall be deemed accepted for purposes of § 225.24 as of the date that the notice was filed under this section.
(c) Criteria for use of expedited procedure. The procedure in this section is available only if:
(1) Well-capitalized organization -
(i) Bank holding company. Both at the time of and immediately after the proposed transaction, the acquiring bank holding company is well-capitalized;
(ii) Insured depository institutions. Both at the time of and immediately after the transaction:
(A) The lead insured depository institution of the acquiring bank holding company is well-capitalized;
(B) Well-capitalized insured depository institutions control at least 80 percent of the total risk-weighted assets of insured depository institutions controlled by the acquiring bank holding company; and
(C) No insured depository institution controlled by the acquiring bank holding company is undercapitalized;
(2) Well managed organization -
(i) Satisfactory examination ratings. At the time of the transaction, the acquiring bank holding company, its lead insured depository institution, and insured depository institutions that control at least 80 percent of the total risk-weighted assets of insured depository institutions controlled by the holding company are well managed and have received at least a satisfactory rating for compliance at their most recent examination if such rating was given;
(ii) No poorly managed institutions. No insured depository institution controlled by the acquiring bank holding company has received 1 of the 2 lowest composite ratings at the later of the institution's most recent examination or subsequent review by the appropriate federal banking agency for the institution.
(iii) Recently acquired institutions excluded. Any insured depository institution that has been acquired by the bank holding company during the 12-month period preceding the date on which written notice is filed under paragraph (a) of this section may be excluded for purposes of paragraph (c)(2)(ii) of this section if:
(A) The bank holding company has developed a plan acceptable to the appropriate federal banking agency for the institution to restore the capital and management of the institution; and
(B) All insured depository institutions excluded under this paragraph represent, in the aggregate, less than 10 percent of the aggregate total risk-weighted assets of all insured depository institutions controlled by the bank holding company;
(3) Permissible activity.
(i) The Board has determined by regulation or order that each activity proposed to be conducted is so closely related to banking, or managing or controlling banks, as to be a proper incident thereto; and
(ii) The Board has not indicated that proposals to engage in the activity are subject to the notice procedure provided in § 225.24;
(4) Competitive criteria -
(i) Competitive screen. In the case of the acquisition of a going concern, the acquisition, without regard to any divestitures proposed by the acquiring bank holding company, does not cause:
(A) The acquiring bank holding company to control in excess of 35 percent of the market share in any relevant market; or
(B) The Herfindahl-Hirschman index to increase by more than 200 points in any relevant market with a post-acquisition index of at least 1800; and
(ii) Other competitive factors. The Board has not indicated that the transaction is subject to close scrutiny on competitive grounds;
(5) Size of acquisition -
(i) In general -
(A) Limited growth. Except as provided in paragraph (c)(5)(ii) of this section, the sum of aggregate risk-weighted assets to be acquired in the proposal and the aggregate risk-weighted assets acquired by the acquiring bank holding company in all other qualifying transactions does not exceed 35 percent of the consolidated risk-weighted assets of the acquiring bank holding company. For purposes of this paragraph, “other qualifying transactions” means any transaction approved under this section or § 225.14 during the 12 months prior to filing the notice under this section;
(B) Consideration paid. The gross consideration to be paid by the acquiring bank holding company in the proposal does not exceed 15 percent of the consolidated Tier 1 capital of the acquiring bank holding company; and
(C) Individual size limitation. The total risk-weighted assets to be acquired do not exceed $7.5 billion;
(ii) Small bank holding companies. Paragraph (c)(5)(i)(A) of this section shall not apply if, immediately following consummation of the proposed transaction, the consolidated risk-weighted assets of the acquiring bank holding company are less than $300 million;
(6) Supervisory actions. During the 12-month period ending on the date on which the bank holding company proposes to consummate the proposed transaction, no formal administrative order, including a written agreement, cease and desist order, capital directive, prompt corrective action directive, asset maintenance agreement, or other formal enforcement order is or was outstanding against the bank holding company or any insured depository institution subsidiary of the holding company, and no formal administrative enforcement proceeding involving any such enforcement action, order, or directive is or was pending; and
(7) Notification. The bank holding company has not been notified by the Board, in its discretion, prior to the expiration of the period in paragraph (b) of this section that a notice under § 225.24 is required in order to permit closer review of any potential adverse effect or other matter related to the factors that must be considered under this part.
(d) Branches and agencies of foreign banking organizations. For purposes of this section, a U.S. branch or agency of a foreign banking organization shall be considered to be an insured depository institution.
Title 12 published on 2015-01-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 12 CFR Part 225 after this date.