12 CFR § 235.2 - Definitions.
For purposes of this part:
(a) Account (1) Means a transaction, savings, or other asset account (other than an occasional or incidental credit balance in a credit plan) established for any purpose and that is located in the United States; and
(b) Acquirer means a person that contracts directly or indirectly with a merchant to provide settlement for the merchant's electronic debit transactions over a payment card network. An acquirer does not include a person that acts only as a processor for the services it provides to the merchant.
(d) Cardholder means the person to whom a debit card is issued.
(e) Control of a company means -
(1) Ownership, control, or power to vote 25 percent or more of the outstanding shares of any class of voting security of the company, directly or indirectly, or acting through one or more other persons;
(2) Control in any manner over the election of a majority of the directors, trustees, or general partners (or individuals exercising similar functions) of the company; or
(3) The power to exercise, directly or indirectly, a controlling influence over the management or policies of the company, as the Board determines.
(f) Debit card (1) Means any card, or other payment code or device, issued or approved for use through a payment card network to debit an account, regardless of whether authorization is based on signature, personal identification number (PIN), or other means, and regardless of whether the issuer holds the account, and
(2) Includes any general-use prepaid card; and
(3) Does not include -
(ii) A check, draft, or similar paper instrument, or an electronic representation thereof.
(g) Designated automated teller machine (ATM) network means either -
(1) All ATMs identified in the name of the issuer; or
(2) Does not include transactions initiated at an ATM, including cash withdrawals and balance transfers initiated at an ATM.
(i) General-use prepaid card means a card, or other payment code or device, that is -
(1) Issued on a prepaid basis in a specified amount, whether or not that amount may be increased or reloaded, in exchange for payment; and
(2) Redeemable upon presentation at multiple, unaffiliated merchants for goods or services.
(j) Interchange transaction fee means any fee established, charged, or received by a payment card network and paid by a merchant or an acquirer for the purpose of compensating an issuer for its involvement in an electronic debit transaction.
(l) Merchant means any person that accepts debit cards as payment.
(m) Payment card network means an entity that -
(1) Directly or indirectly provides the proprietary services, infrastructure, and software that route information and data to an issuer from an acquirer to conduct the authorization, clearance, and settlement of electronic debit transactions; and
(2) A merchant uses in order to accept as a form of payment a brand of debit card or other device that may be used to carry out electronic debit transactions.
(n) Person means a natural person or an organization, including a corporation, government agency, estate, trust, partnership, proprietorship, cooperative, or association.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.