12 CFR 25.22 - Lending test.
(a) Scope of test.
(1) The lending test evaluates a bank's record of helping to meet the credit needs of its assessment area(s) through its lending activities by considering a bank's home mortgage, small business, small farm, and community development lending. If consumer lending constitutes a substantial majority of a bank's business, the OCC will evaluate the bank's consumer lending in one or more of the following categories: motor vehicle, credit card, home equity, other secured, and other unsecured loans. In addition, at a bank's option, the OCC will evaluate one or more categories of consumer lending, if the bank has collected and maintained, as required in § 25.42(c)(1), the data for each category that the bank elects to have the OCC evaluate.
(2) The OCC considers originations and purchases of loans. The OCC will also consider any other loan data the bank may choose to provide, including data on loans outstanding, commitments and letters of credit.
(3) A bank may ask the OCC to consider loans originated or purchased by consortia in which the bank participates or by third parties in which the bank has invested only if the loans meet the definition of community development loans and only in accordance with paragraph (d) of this section. The OCC will not consider these loans under any criterion of the lending test except the community development lending criterion.
(b) Performance criteria. The OCC evaluates a bank's lending performance pursuant to the following criteria:
(ii) The dispersion of lending in the bank's assessment area(s); and
(3) Borrower characteristics. The distribution, particularly in the bank's assessment area(s), of the bank's home mortgage, small business, small farm, and consumer loans, if applicable, based on borrower characteristics, including the number and amount of:
(ii) Small business and small farm loans to businesses and farms with gross annual revenues of $1 million or less;
(iii) Small business and small farm loans by loan amount at origination; and
(5) Innovative or flexible lending practices. The bank's use of innovative or flexible lending practices in a safe and sound manner to address the credit needs of low- or moderate-income individuals or geographies.
(c) Affiliate lending.
(2) The OCC considers affiliate lending subject to the following constraints:
(i) No affiliate may claim a loan origination or loan purchase if another institution claims the same loan origination or purchase; and
(ii) If a bank elects to have the OCC consider loans within a particular lending category made by one or more of the bank's affiliates in a particular assessment area, the bank shall elect to have the OCC consider, in accordance with paragraph (c)(1) of this section, all the loans within that lending category in that particular assessment area made by all of the bank's affiliates.
(2) May be allocated among participants or investors, as they choose, for purposes of the lending test, except that no participant or investor:
(i) May claim a loan origination or loan purchase if another participant or investor claims the same loan origination or purchase; or
(ii) May claim loans accounting for more than its percentage share (based on the level of its participation or investment) of the total loans originated by the consortium or third party.
(e) Lending performance rating. The OCC rates a bank's lending performance as provided in appendix A of this part.