(a)Additional expenditures on OREO. For OREO that is a development or improvement project, a national bank may make advances to complete the project if the advances:
(1) Are reasonably calculated to reduce any shortfall between the parcel's market value and the bank's recorded investment amount;
(2) Are not made for the purpose of speculation in real estate; and
(3) Are consistent with safe and sound banking practices.
(1) A national bank shall notify the appropriate supervisory office at least 30 days before implementing a development or improvement plan for OREO when the sum of the plan's estimated cost and the bank's current recorded investment amount (including any unpaid prior liens on the property) exceeds 10 percent of the bank's capital and surplus. A national bank need notify the OCC under this paragraph (b)(1) only once. A national bank need not notify the OCC that the bank intends to re-fit an existing building for new tenants or to make normal repairs and incur maintenance costs to protect the value of the collateral.
(2) The required notification must demonstrate that the additional expenditure is consistent with the conditions and limitations in paragraph (a) of this section.
(3) Unless informed otherwise, the bank may implement the proposed plan on the thirty-first day (or sooner, if notified by the OCC) following receipt by the OCC of the bank's notification, subject to any conditions imposed by the OCC.
Title 12 published on 2015-01-01.
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 12.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.