12 CFR 347.111 - Underwriting and dealing limits applicable to foreign organizations held by insured state nonmember banks.
A bank that holds an equity interest in one or more foreign organizations which underwrite, deal, or distribute equity securities outside the United States as authorized by § 347.105(b)(14) is subject to the following limitations:
(1) The aggregate underwriting commitments by the foreign organizations for the equity securities of a single entity, taken together with underwriting commitments by any affiliate of the bank under the authority of12 CFR 211.10(b), may not exceed the lesser of $60 million or 25 percent of the bank's Tier 1 capital, except as otherwise provided in this paragraph.
(ii) Deducted from the capital of the bank, with at least 50 percent of the deduction being taken from Tier 1 capital, with the bank remaining well capitalized after this deduction.
(b) Distribution and dealing limits. The equity securities of any single entity held for distribution or dealing by the foreign organizations, taken together with equity securities held for distribution or dealing by any affiliate of the bank under the authority of 12 CFR 211.10:
(1) May not exceed the lesser of $30 million or 5 percent of the bank's Tier 1 capital, subject to the following:
(i) Any equity securities acquired pursuant to any underwriting commitment extending up to 90 days after the payment date for the underwriting may be excluded from this limit;
(ii) Any equity securities of the entity held under the authority of§§ 347.105 through 347.109 or 12 CFR 211.10 for purposes other than distribution or dealing must be included in this limit; and
(iii) Up to 75 percent of the position in an equity security may be reduced by netting long and short positions in the same security, or offsetting cash positions against derivative instruments referenced to the same security so long as the derivatives are part of a prudent hedging strategy; and
(2) Must be included in calculating the general consent limits under§ 347.117(b)(3) if the bank relies on the general consent provisions as authority to acquire equity interests of the same foreign entity for investment or trading.
(c) Additional distribution and dealing limits. With the exception of equity securities acquired pursuant to any underwriting commitment extending up to 90 days after the payment date for the underwriting, equity securities of a single entity held for distribution or dealing by all affiliates of the bank (this includes shares held in connection with an underwriting or for distribution or dealing by an affiliate permitted to do so by §§ 362.8 or 362.18 of this chapter or section 4(c)(8) of the Bank Holding Company Act), combined with any equity interests held for investment or trading purposes by all affiliates of the bank, must conform to the limits of §§ 347.105 through 347.109.
(d) Combined limits. The aggregate of the following may not exceed 25 percent of the bank's Tier 1 capital:
(1) All equity interests of foreign organizations held for investment or trading under§ 347.109 or by an affiliate of the bank under the corresponding paragraph of 12 CFR 211.10.
(2) All underwriting commitments under paragraph (a) of this section, taken together with all underwriting commitments by any affiliate of the bank under the authority of12 CFR 211.10, after excluding the amount of any underwriting commitment:
(i) Covered by binding commitments from subunderwriters or purchasers under paragraph (a)(1) of this sectionor the comparable provision of 12 CFR 211.10; or
(ii) Already deducted from the bank's capital under paragraph (a)(2) of this section, or the appropriate affiliate's capital under the comparable provisions of12 CFR 211.10; and
(3) All equity securities held for distribution or dealing under paragraph (b) of this section, taken together with all equity securities held for distribution or dealing by any affiliate of the bank under the authority of12 CFR 211.10, after reducing by up to 75 percent the position in any equity security by netting and offset, as permitted by paragraph (b)(1)(iii) of this section or the comparable provision of 12 CFR 211.10.
Title 12 published on 2015-01-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 12 CFR Part 347.