12 CFR 41.83 - Proper disposal of records containing consumer information.
(a) Definitions as used in this section.
(1) Consumer means an individual.
(2) Federal savings association means a Federal savings association or an operating subsidiary of a Federal savings association.
(3) National bank means a national bank, an operating subsidiary of a national bank, or a Federal branch or agency of a foreign bank.
(b) In general. Each national bank or Federal savings association must properly dispose of any consumer information that it maintains or otherwise possesses in accordance with the Interagency Guidelines Establishing Information Security Standards, as set forth in appendix B to 12 CFR part 30, to the extent that the bank or savings association is covered by the scope of the Guidelines.
(c) Rule of construction. Nothing in this section shall be construed to:
(1) Require a national bank or Federal savings association to maintain or destroy any record pertaining to a consumer that is not imposed under any other law; or
(2) Alter or affect any requirement imposed under any other provision of law to maintain or destroy such a record.