12 CFR 545.16 - Public deposits, depositaries, and fiscal agents.
(a) Definitions. As used in this section -
(1) Moneys includes monies and has the meaning it has in applicable state law;
(2) State law includes actions by a governmental body which has a charter adopted under the constitution of the state with provisions respecting deposits of public money of that body;
(3) Surety means surety under real and/or personal suretyship, and includes guarantor; and
(4) Terms in paragraph (b) of this section have the meanings they have under applicable state law.
(b) Authority to act as surety for public deposits.
(1) A Federal savings association that is a deposit association may give bond or security for deposit in it of public moneys or investment in it by a governmental unit if required to do so by state law, either as an alternative condition or otherwise, regardless of the amount required. Any bond or security may be given and any substitution or increase thereof may be made under this section at any time.
(2) If state law requires as a condition of such deposit or investment that the Federal savings association or its bond or security, or any combination thereof, be surety for or with respect to other deposits or instruments, whether of that depositor or investor or of any other(s), and whether in the Federal savings association or in any other institution(s) having, when the investments or deposits were made, insurance by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the same shall become, or if the state law is self-executing shall be, such surety.
(c) Depositaries and fiscal agents. Subject to regulation of the United States Treasury Department, a Federal savings association may serve as a depositary for Federal taxes, as a Treasury tax and loan depositary, or as a depositary of public money and fiscal agent of the Government or any other instrumentality thereof when designated for that purpose by such instrumentality and approved by the Office, and may satisfy any requirement in connection therewith, including maintaining accounts described in §§ 561.33, 561.52, 561.53, and 561.54 of this chapter; pledging collateral; and performing the services outlined in 31 CFR 202.3(b) or any section that supersedes or amends § 202.3(b).