12 CFR 563e.27 - Strategic plan.
(a) Alternative election. The OTS will assess a savings association's record of helping to meet the credit needs of its assessment area(s) under a strategic plan if:
(b) Data reporting. The OTS's approval of a plan does not affect the savings association's obligation, if any, to report data as required by § 563e.42.
(c) Plans in general—(1) Term. A plan may have a term of no more than five years, and any multi-year plan must include annual interim measurable goals under which the OTS will evaluate the savings association's performance.
(2) Multiple assessment areas. A savings association with more than one assessment area may prepare a single plan for all of its assessment areas or one or more plans for one or more of its assessment areas.
(3) Treatment of affiliates. Affiliated institutions may prepare a joint plan if the plan provides measurable goals for each institution. Activities may be allocated among institutions at the institutions' option, provided that the same activities are not considered for more than one institution.
(d) Public participation in plan development. Before submitting a plan to the OTS for approval, a savings association shall:
(1) Informally seek suggestions from members of the public in its assessment area(s) covered by the plan while developing the plan;
(2) Once the savings association has developed a plan, formally solicit public comment on the plan for at least 30 days by publishing notice in at least one newspaper of general circulation in each assessment area covered by the plan; and
(3) During the period of formal public comment, make copies of the plan available for review by the public at no cost at all offices of the savings association in any assessment area covered by the plan and provide copies of the plan upon request for a reasonable fee to cover copying and mailing, if applicable.
(e) Submission of plan. The savings association shall submit its plan to the OTS at least three months prior to the proposed effective date of the plan. The savings association shall also submit with its plan a description of its informal efforts to seek suggestions from members of the public, any written public comment received, and, if the plan was revised in light of the comment received, the initial plan as released for public comment.
(f) Plan content—(1) Measurable goals. (i) A savings association shall specify in its plan measurable goals for helping to meet the credit needs of each assessment area covered by the plan, particularly the needs of low- and moderate-income geographies and low- and moderate-income individuals, through lending, investment, and services, as appropriate.
(ii) A savings association shall address in its plan all three performance categories and, unless the savings association has been designated as a wholesale or limited purpose savings association, shall emphasize lending and lending-related activities. Nevertheless, a different emphasis, including a focus on one or more performance categories, may be appropriate if responsive to the characteristics and credit needs of its assessment area(s), considering public comment and the savings association's capacity and constraints, product offerings, and business strategy.
(2) Confidential information. A savings association may submit additional information to the OTS on a confidential basis, but the goals stated in the plan must be sufficiently specific to enable the public and the OTS to judge the merits of the plan.
(3) Satisfactory and outstanding goals. A savings association shall specify in its plan measurable goals that constitute “satisfactory” performance. A plan may specify measurable goals that constitute “outstanding” performance. If a savings association submits, and the OTS approves, both “satisfactory” and “outstanding” performance goals, the OTS will consider the savings association eligible for an “outstanding” performance rating.
(4) Election if satisfactory goals not substantially met. A savings association may elect in its plan that, if the savings association fails to meet substantially its plan goals for a satisfactory rating, the OTS will evaluate the savings association's performance under the lending, investment, and service tests, the community development test, or the small savings association performance standards, as appropriate.
(g) Plan approval—(1) Timing. The OTS will act upon a plan within 60 calendar days after the OTS receives the complete plan and other material required under paragraph (e) of this section. If the OTS fails to act within this time period, the plan shall be deemed approved unless the OTS extends the review period for good cause.
(2) Public participation. In evaluating the plan's goals, the OTS considers the public's involvement in formulating the plan, written public comment on the plan, and any response by the savings association to public comment on the plan.
(3) Criteria for evaluating plan. The OTS evaluates a plan's measurable goals using the following criteria, as appropriate:
(i) The extent and breadth of lending or lending-related activities, including, as appropriate, the distribution of loans among different geographies, businesses and farms of different sizes, and individuals of different income levels, the extent of community development lending, and the use of innovative or flexible lending practices to address credit needs;
(ii) The amount and innovativeness, complexity, and responsiveness of the savings association's qualified investments; and
(iii) The availability and effectiveness of the savings association's systems for delivering retail banking services and the extent and innovativeness of the savings association's community development services.
(h) Plan amendment. During the term of a plan, a savings association may request the OTS to approve an amendment to the plan on grounds that there has been a material change in circumstances. The savings association shall develop an amendment to a previously approved plan in accordance with the public participation requirements of paragraph (d) of this section.
(i) Plan assessment. The OTS approves the goals and assesses performance under a plan as provided for in Appendix A of this part.
[60 FR 22216, May 4, 1995, as amended at 60 FR 66050, Dec. 20, 1995; 69 FR 41188, July 8, 2004]
Title 12 published on 2015-01-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 12 CFR Part 563e.