12 CFR 574.8 - Qualified stock issuances by undercapitalized savings associations or holding companies.
(a)Acquisitions by savings and loan holding companies. No savings and loan holding company shall be deemed to control a savings association solely by reason of the purchase by such savings and loan holding company of shares issued by such savings association, or issued by any savings and loan holding company (other than a bank holding company) which controls such savings association, in connection with a qualified stock issuance if prior approval of such acquisition is granted by the Office under this § 574.8, unless the acquiring savings and loan holding company, directly or indirectly, or acting in concert with 1 or more other persons, or through 1 or more subsidiaries, owns, controls, or holds with power to vote, or holds proxies representing, more than 15 percent of the voting shares of such savings association or holding company.
(1) The shares of stock are issued by -
(A) The assets of which exceed the liabilities of such association; and
(B) Which does not comply with one or more of the capital standards in effect under section 5(t) of the Home Owners' Loan Act; or
(ii) A savings and loan holding company which is not a bank holding company but which controls an undercapitalized savings association if, at the time of issuance, the savings and loan holding company is legally obligated to contribute the net proceeds from the issuance of such stock to the capital of an undercapitalized savings association subsidiary of such holding company.
(3) All shares of stock issued are purchased by a savings and loan holding company that is registered, as of the date of purchase, with the Office in accordance with the provisions of section 10(b) of the Home Owners' Loan Act and the Office's regulations promulgated thereunder.
(6) At the time of the stock issuance, each savings association subsidiary of the acquiring savings and loan holding company (other than an association acquired in a transaction pursuant to section 13(c) or 13(k) of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act, or section 408(m) of the National Housing Act, as in effect immediately prior to enactment of the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery and Enforcement Act of 1989) has capital (after deducting any subordinated debt, intangible assets, and deferred, unamortized gains or losses) of not less than 6 1/2 percent of the total assets of such savings association.
(7) Immediately after the stock issuance, the acquiring savings and loan holding company holds not more than 15 percent of the outstanding voting stock of the issuing undercapitalized savings association or savings and loan holding company.
(9) Transactions between the savings association or savings and loan holding company that issues the shares pursuant to this section and the acquiring company and any of its affiliates shall be subject to the provisions of section 11 of the Home Owners' Loan Act and the Office's regulations promulgated thereunder.
(c)Approval of acquisitions -
(1)Criteria. The Office, in deciding whether to approve or deny an application filed on the basis that it is a qualified stock issuance, shall apply the application criteria set forth in § 574.7(c) of this part, including the presumptive disqualifiers set forth in § 574.7(g) of this part.
(2)Additional capital commitments not required. The Office shall not disapprove any application for the purchase of stock in connection with a qualified stock issuance on the grounds that the acquiring savings and loan holding company has failed to undertake to make subsequent additional capital contributions to maintain the capital of the undercapitalized savings association at or above the minimum level required by the Office or any other Federal agency having jurisdiction.
(3)Other conditions. The Office shall impose such conditions on any approval of an application for the purchase of stock in connection with a qualified stock issuance as the Office determines to be appropriate, including -
(i) A requirement that any savings association subsidiary of the acquiring savings and loan holding company limit dividends paid to such holding company for such period of time as the Office may require; and
(ii) Such other conditions as the Office deems necessary or appropriate to prevent evasions of this section, including, but not limited to, requiring a rebuttal of control agreement in a form substantially similar to that appearing at § 574.100.
(4)Application deemed approved if not disapproved within 90 days. An application for approval of a purchase of stock in connection with a qualified stock issuance shall be deemed to have been approved by the Office if such application has not been disapproved by the Office before the end of the 90-day period beginning on the date such application has been deemed sufficient under this part.
- 12 CFR 574.3 — Acquisition of Control of Savings Associations.
- 12 CFR 574.6 — Procedural Requirements.
- 12 CFR 584.4 — Certain Acquisitions by Savings and Loan Holding Companies.
- 12 CFR 584.2 — Prohibited Activities.
- 12 CFR 574.8 — Qualified Stock Issuances by Undercapitalized Savings Associations or Holding Companies.
- 12 CFR 574.4 — Control.
- 12 CFR 574.7 — Determination by the OTS.
- 12 CFR 575.10 — Acquisition and Disposition of Savings Associations, Savings and Loan Holding Companies, and Other Corporations by Mutual Holding Companies.
Title 12 published on 2015-12-05.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 12 CFR Part 574.