12 CFR 575.12 - Conversion or liquidation of mutual holding companies.
(a) Conversion -
(2) Exchange of savings association stock. Any stock issued pursuant to § 575.7 by a subsidiary savings association or subsidiary holding company of a mutual holding company to persons other than the parent mutual holding company may be exchanged for the stock issued by the parent mutual holding company in connection with the conversion of the parent mutual holding company to stock form. The parent mutual holding company and the subsidiary holding company or savings association must demonstrate to the satisfaction of the OTS that the basis for the exchange is fair and reasonable.
(3) If a subsidiary holding company or subsidiary savings association has issued shares to an entity other than the mutual holding company, the conversion of the mutual holding company to stock form may not be consummated unless a majority of the shares issued to entities other than the mutual holding company vote in favor of the conversion. This requirement applies in addition to any otherwise required account holder or shareholder votes.
(b) Involuntary liquidation.
(1) The OTS may file a petition with the federal bankruptcy courts requesting the liquidation of a mutual holding company pursuant to 12 U.S.C. 1467a(o)(9) and title 11, United States Code, upon the occurrence of any of the following events:
(i) The default of the resulting association, any acquiree association, or any subsidiary savings association of the mutual holding company that was in the mutual form when acquired by the mutual holding company;
(2) Except as provided in paragraph (b)(3) of this section, the net proceeds of any liquidation of any mutual holding company shall be transferred to the members of the mutual holding company or the stock holders of the subsidiary holding company in accordance with the charter of the mutual holding company or subsidiary holding company.
(3) If the FDIC incurs a loss as a result of the default of any savings association subsidiary of a mutual holding company and that mutual holding company is liquidated pursuant to paragraph (b)(1) of this section, the FDIC shall succeed to the membership interests of the depositors of such savings association in the mutual holding company, to the extent of the FDIC's loss.
(c) Voluntary liquidation. The provisions of § 546.4 of this chapter shall apply to mutual holding companies in the same manner as if they were federal savings associations.