12 CFR 584.2-1 - Prescribed services and activities of savings and loan holding companies.
(a)General. For the purpose of § 584.2(b)(6)(ii) of this part, the activities set forth in paragraph (b) of this section are, and were as of March 5, 1987, permissible services and activities for savings and loan holding companies or subsidiaries thereof that are neither savings associations nor service corporation subsidiaries of subsidiary savings associations. Services and activities of service corporation subsidiaries of savings and loan holding company subsidiary savings associations are prescribed by paragraph (d) of this section.
(b)Prescribed services and activities. Subject to the provisions of paragraph (c) of this section, a savings and loan holding company subject to restrictions on its activities pursuant to § 584.2(b) of this part, or a subsidiary thereof which is neither a savings association nor a service corporation of a subsidiary savings association, may furnish or perform the following services and engage in the following activities to the extent that it has legal power to do so:
(1) Originating, purchasing, selling and servicing any of the following:
(i) Loans, and participation interests in loans, on a prudent basis and secured by real estate, including brokerage and warehousing of such real estate loans, except that such a company or subsidiary shall not invest in a loan secured by real estate as to which a subsidiary savings association of such company has a security interest;
(ii) Manufactured home chattel paper (written evidence of both a monetary obligation and a security interest of first priority in one or more manufactured homes, and any equipment installed or to be installed therein), including brokerage and warehousing of such chattel paper;
(iii) Loans, with or without security, for the altering, repairing, improving, equipping or furnishing of any residential real estate;
(iv) Educational loans; and
(v) Consumer loans, as defined in § 560.3 of this chapter, Provided, That, no subsidiary savings association of such holding company or service corporation of such savings association shall engage directly or indirectly, in any transaction with any affiliate involving the purchase or sale, in whole or in part, of any consumer loan.
(2) Subject to the provisions of 12 U.S.C. 1468, furnishing or performing clerical accounting and internal audit services primarily for its affiliates;
(3) Subject to the provisions of 12 U.S.C. 1468, furnishing or performing the following services primarily for its affiliates, and for any savings association and service corporation subsidiary thereof, and for other multiple holding companies and affiliates thereof:
(i) Data processing;
(ii) Credit information, appraisals, construction loan inspections, and abstracting;
(iii) Development and administration of personnel benefit programs, including life insurance, health insurance, and pension or retirement plans;
(iv) Research, studies, and surveys;
(v) Purchase of office supplies, furniture and equipment;
(vi) Development and operation of storage facilities for microfilm or other duplicate records; and
(vii) Advertising and other services to procure and retain both savings accounts and loans;
(4) Acquisition of unimproved real estate lots, and acquisition of other unimproved real estate for the purpose of prompt development and subdivision, for:
(i) Construction of improvements,
(ii) Resale to others for such construction, or
(iii) Use as mobile home sites;
(5) Development, subdivision and construction of improvements on real estate acquired pursuant to paragraph (b)(4) of this section, for sale or rental;
(6) Acquisition of improved real estate and mobile homes to be held for rental;
(7) Acquisition of improved real estate for remodeling, rehabilitation, modernization, renovation, or demolition and rebuilding for sale or for rental;
(8) Maintenance and management of improved real estate;
(9) Underwriting or reinsuring contract of credit life or credit health and accident insurance in connection with extensions of credit by the savings and loan holding company or any of its subsidiaries, or extensions of credit by any savings association or service corporation subsidiary thereof, or any other savings and loan holding company or subsidiary thereof;
(10) Preparation of State and Federal tax returns for accountholders of or borrowers from (including immediate family members of such accountholders or borrowers but not including an accountholder or borrower which is a corporation operated for profit) an affiliated savings association;
(11) Purchase and sale of gold coins minted and issued by the United States Treasury pursuant to Pub. L. 99-185, 99 Stat. 1177 (1985), and activities reasonably incident thereto; and
(12) Any services or activities approved by order of the former Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation prior to March 5, 1987, pursuant to its authority under section 408(c)(2)(F) of the National Housing Act, as in effect at the time.
(c)Procedures for commencing services or activities.
(1) Before a savings and loan holding company subject to restrictions on its activities pursuant to § 584.2(b) of this part or a subsidiary thereof may commence performing or engaging in a service or activity prescribed by paragraph (b) of this section (other than purchase or sale of a government debt security), either de novo or by an acquisition of a going concern, it shall file a notice of intent to do so in a form prescribed by the OTS. The activity or service may be commenced unless, before the close of the period specified immediately below, the OTS finds that the activity or service proposed would not be, under the circumstances, a proper incident to the operations of savings associations or would be detrimental to the interests of savings account holders. The period for review shall be 30 calendar days after the date of receipt of such notice, in the case of a de novo entry, or 60 calendar days, in the case of an acquisition of a going concern.
(2) The Office may require a savings and loan holding company or subsidiary thereof which has commenced a service or activity pursuant to this section to modify or terminate, in whole or in part, such service or activity as the Office finds necessary in order to ensure compliance with the provisions and purposes of this part and of section 10 of the Home Owners' Loan Act, as amended, or to prevent evasions thereof.
(3) Except as may be otherwise provided in a resolution by or on behalf of the Office in a particular case, a service or activity commenced pursuant to this section shall not be altered in any material respect from that described in the notice filed under paragraph (c)(1) of this section, unless before making such alteration notice of intent to do so is filed in compliance with the appropriate procedures of said paragraph (c)(1) of this section.
(d)Service corporation subsidiaries of savings associations. The Office hereby approves without application the furnishing or performing of such services or engaging in such activities as permitted by the Office pursuant to 12 CFR 545.74, as in effect on March 5, 1987, if such service or activity is conducted by a service corporation subsidiary of a subsidiary savings association of a savings and loan holding company and if such service corporation has legal power to do so.
Title 12 published on 2015-12-05.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 12 CFR Part 584.