12 CFR § 797.2 - Purpose.
(a) The purpose of this part is to implement federal statutes and regulatory standards authorizing NCUA to collect debts owed to the United States. This part is consistent with the following federal statutes and regulations:
(2) 5 U.S.C. 5514 (salary offset);
(3) 5 U.S.C. 5584 (waiver of claims for overpayment);
(4) 31 CFR parts 900 through 904 (FCCS);
(5) 5 CFR part 550, subpart K (salary offset);
(7) 5 CFR 831.1801 through 1808 (U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) offset).
(b) Collectively, these statutes and regulations prescribe the manner in which federal agencies should proceed to establish the existence and validity of debts owed to the federal government and describe the remedies available to agencies to offset valid debts.