13 CFR § 306.1 - Purpose and scope.
(a) Local and National Technical Assistance Investments may be awarded to:
(1) Determine the causes of excessive unemployment, underemployment, low per capita income, outmigration or other problems throughout the nation;
(2) Formulate and implement economic development tools, models, and innovative techniques that will alleviate or prevent conditions of excessive unemployment or underemployment;
(3) Formulate and implement economic development programs to increase local, regional and national capacity;
(4) Evaluate the effectiveness and economic impact of programs, projects and techniques to alleviate economic distress and promote economic development;
(5) Conduct project planning and feasibility studies;
(6) Provide management and operational assistance;
(7) Establish business outreach centers;
(8) Disseminate information about effective programs, projects and techniques that alleviate conditions of economic distress and promote economic development;
(9) Assess, market and establish business clusters and associations; or
(10) Perform other activities determined by EDA to be appropriate under the Local and National Technical Assistance program.
(b) Investment Assistance may not be used to start or expand a private business.
(c) EDA may identify specific training, research or technical assistance Projects it will fund, which will be subject to competition. Ordinarily, these Projects are specified in an FFO, which will provide the specific requirements, timelines and the appropriate points of contact and addresses.
(d) In providing Local and National Technical Assistance under this subpart, EDA, in addition to making Investments, may:
(1) Provide Local and National Technical Assistance through officers or employees of the Department;
(2) Pay funds made available to carry out this subpart to Federal Agencies; or
(3) Employ private individuals, partnerships, businesses, corporations, or appropriate institutions under contracts entered into for this purpose.