14 CFR 1261.403 - Consultation with appropriate officials; negotiation.
(a) The authority pursuant to § 1261.402 to determine to forego collection of interest, to accept payment of a claim in installments, or, as to claims which do not exceed $20,000, exclusive of interest and related charges, to compromise a claim or to refrain from doing so, or to refrain from, suspend or terminate collection action, shall be exercised only after consultation with legal counsel for the particular installation and the following NASA officials or designees, who may also be requested to negotiate the appropriate agreements or arrangements with the debtor:
(1) With respect to claims against contractors or grantees arising in connection with contracts or grants—the contracting officer and the financial management officer of the installation concerned.
(2) With respect to claims against commercial carriers for loss of or damage to NASA freight shipment—the cognizant transportation officers or the official who determined the amount of the claim, as appropriate, and the financial management officers of the installation concerned.
(3) With respect to claims against employees of NASA incident to their employment—the personnel officer and the financial management officer of the installation concerned.
(3) All referrals of claims, other than referrals to the Department of Justice pursuant to § 1261.404(b)(1).
(5) All other actions relating to the collection of a claim which in the opinion of the official designated in or pursuant to § 1261.402 may affect the rights of the United States.
Title 14 published on 2014-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.