(a) An applicant for a pilot school certificate or for a provisional pilot school certificate must meet the following personnel requirements:
(1) Each applicant must have adequate personnel, including certificated flight instructors, certificated ground instructors, or holders of a commercial pilot certificate with a lighter-than-air rating, and a chief instructor for each approved course of training who is qualified and competent to perform the duties to which that instructor is assigned.
(2) If the school employs dispatchers, aircraft handlers, and line and service personnel, then it must instruct those persons in the procedures and responsibilities of their employment.
(3) Each instructor to be used for ground or flight training must hold a flight instructor certificate, ground instructor certificate, or commercial pilot certificate with a lighter-than-air rating, as appropriate, with ratings for the approved course of training and any aircraft used in that course.
(4) In addition to meeting the requirements of paragraph (a)(3) of this section, each instructor used for the airline transport pilot certification training program in§ 61.156 of this chapter must:
(i) Hold an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating;
(ii) Have at least 2 years of experience as a pilot in command in operations conducted under§ 91.1053(a)(2)(i) or § 135.243(a)(1) of this chapter, or as a pilot in command or second in command in any operation conducted under part 121 of this chapter; and
(iii) If providing training in a flight simulation training device, have received training and evaluation within the preceding 12 months from the certificate holder on—
(A) Proper operation of flight simulator and flight training device controls and systems;
(B) Proper operation of environmental and fault panels,
(C) Data and motion limitations of simulation;
(D) Minimum equipment requirements for each curriculum; and
(E) The maneuvers that will be demonstrated in the flight simulation training device.
(b) An applicant for a pilot school certificate or for a provisional pilot school certificate must designate a chief instructor for each of the school's approved training courses, who must meet the requirements of§ 141.35 of this part.
(c) When necessary, an applicant for a pilot school certificate or for a provisional pilot school certificate may designate a person to be an assistant chief instructor for an approved training course, provided that person meets the requirements of§ 141.36 of this part.
(d) A pilot school and a provisional pilot school may designate a person to be a check instructor for conducting student stage checks, end-of-coursetests, and instructor proficiency checks, provided:
(1) That person meets the requirements of§ 141.37 of this part; and
(2) The school has an enrollment of at least 10 students at the time designation is sought.
(e) A person, as listed in this section, may serve in more than one position for a school, provided that person is qualified for each position.