Beta! The text on the eCFR tab represents the unofficial eCFR text at ecfr.gov.
§ 21.25 Issue of type certificate: Restricted category aircraft.
(a) An applicant is entitled to a type certificate for an aircraft in the restricted category for special purpose operations if he shows compliance with the applicable noise requirements of Part 36 of this chapter, and if he shows that no feature or characteristic of the aircraft makes it unsafe when it is operated under the limitations prescribed for its intended use, and that the aircraft -
(1) Meets the airworthiness requirements of an aircraft category except those requirements that the FAA finds inappropriate for the special purpose for which the aircraft is to be used; or
(2) Is of a type that has been manufactured in accordance with the requirements of and accepted for use by, an Armed Force of the United States and has been later modified for a special purpose.
(b) For the purposes of this section, “special purpose operations” includes -
(1) Agricultural (spraying, dusting, and seeding, and livestock and predatory animal control);
(2) Forest and wildlife conservation;
(3) Aerial surveying (photography, mapping, and oil and mineral exploration);
(4) Patrolling (pipelines, power lines, and canals);
(5) Weather control (cloud seeding);
(6) Aerial advertising (skywriting, banner towing, airborne signs and public address systems); and