14 CFR 217.1 - Definitions.
prev | next
As used in this part:
Foreign Air Carrier means a non-U.S. air carrier holding a foreign air carrier permit or exemption authority from the Department of Transportation.
Nonrevenue passenger means: a person traveling free or under token charges, except those expressly named in the definition of revenue passenger; a person traveling at a fare or discount available only to employees or authorized persons of air carriers or their agents or only for travel on the business of the carriers; and an infant who does not occupy a seat. (This definition is for 14 CFR part 217 traffic reporting purposes and may differ from the definitions used in other parts by the Federal Aviation Administration and the Transportation Security Administration for the collection of Passenger Facility Charges and Security Fees.)
The definition includes, but is not limited to the following examples of passengers when traveling free or pursuant to token charges:
(1) Directors, officers, employees, and others authorized by the air carrier operating the aircraft;
(2) Directors, officers, employees, and others authorized by the air carrier or another carrier traveling pursuant to a pass interchange agreement;
(3) Travel agents being transported for the purpose of familiarizing themselves with the carrier's services;
(5) Persons injured in aircraft accidents, and physicians, nurses, and others attending such persons;
(6) Any persons transported with the object of providing relief in cases of general epidemic, natural disaster, or other catastrophe;
(7) Any law enforcement official, including any person who has the duty of guarding government officials who are traveling on official business or traveling to or from such duty;
(8) Guests of an air carrier on an inaugural flight or delivery flights of newly-acquired or renovated aircraft;
(9) Security guards who have been assigned the duty to guard such aircraft against unlawful seizure, sabotage, or other unlawful interference;
(10) Safety inspectors of the National Transportation Safety Board or the FAA in their official duties or traveling to or from such duty;
(12) Technical representatives of companies that have been engaged in the manufacture, development or testing of a particular type of aircraft or aircraft equipment, when the transportation is provided for the purpose of in-flight observation and subject to applicable FAA regulations;
(14) Air marshals and other Transportation Security officials acting in their official capacities and while traveling to and from their official duties; and
Reporting carrier for T-100(f) purposes means the air carrier in operational control of the flight, i.e., the carrier that uses its flight crews under its own operating authority.
Revenue passenger means: a passenger for whose transportation an air carrier receives commercial remuneration. (This definition is for 14 CFR part 217 traffic reporting purposes and may differ from the definitions used in other parts by the Federal Aviation Administration and the Transportation Security Administration for the collection of Passenger Facility Charges and Security Fees.) This includes, but is not limited to, the following examples:
(1) Passengers traveling under publicly available tickets including promotional offers (for example two-for-one) or loyalty programs (for example, redemption of frequent flyer points);
(2) Passengers traveling on vouchers or tickets issued as compensation for denied boarding or in response to consumer complaints or claims;
(4) Passengers traveling on preferential fares (Government, seamen, military, youth, student, etc.);
Statement of Authorization under this part means a statement of authorization from the Department, pursuant to 14 CFR part 207, 208, or 212, as appropriate, that permits joint service transportation, such as blocked space agreements, part-charters, code-sharing or wet-leases, between two direct air carriers holding underlying economic authority from the Department.
Wet-Lease Agreement means an agreement under which one carrier leases an aircraft with flight crew to another air carrier.
Title 14 published on 2015-01-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 14 CFR Part 217.