15 CFR § 8.5 - Nondiscrimination clause.
(a) Applicability. Every application for, and every grant, loan, or contract authorizing approval of, Federal financial assistance and to provide a facility subject to this part, and every modification or amendment thereof, shall, as a condition to its approval and to the extension of any Federal financial assistance pursuant thereto, contain or be accompanied by an assurance that the program will be conducted in compliance with all requirements imposed by or pursuant to this part. The assurances shall be set forth in a nondiscrimination clause. The responsible Department official shall specify the form and contents of the nondiscrimination clause for each program as appropriate.
(b) Contents. Without limiting its scope or language in any way, a nondiscrimination clause shall contain, where determined to be appropriate, and in an appropriate form, reference to the following assurances, undertakings, and other provisions:
(1) That the recipient or other party subject to this part will not participate directly or indirectly in the discrimination prohibited by § 8.4, including employment practices when a program covering such is involved.
(2) That when employment practices are covered, the recipient or other party subject to this part will (i) in all solicitations or advertisements for employees placed by or for the recipient, state that qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, or national origin; (ii) notify each labor union or representative of workers with which it has a collective bargaining agreement or other contract or understanding of the recipient's commitments under this section; (iii) post the nondiscrimination clause and the notice to labor unions in conspicuous places available to employees and applicants for employment; and (iv) otherwise comply with the requirements of § 8.4(c).
(3) When continuing Federal financial assistance is involved, the recipient thereunder (i) will state that the program is (or, in the case of a new program, will be) conducted in compliance with all requirements imposed by or pursuant to this part, and (ii) will provide for such methods of administration for the program as are found by the responsible Department official to give reasonable assurance that all recipients of Federal financial assistance under such program and any other parties connected therewith subject to this part will comply with all requirements imposed by or pursuant to this part.
(4) That the recipient agrees to secure the compliance or to cooperate actively with the Department to secure the compliance by others with this part and the nondiscrimination clause as may be directed under an applicable program. For instance, the recipient may be requested by the responsible Department official to undertake and agree (i) to obtain or enforce or to assist and cooperate actively with the responsible Department official in obtaining or enforcing, the compliance of other recipients or of other parties subject to this part with the nondiscrimination required by this part; (ii) to insert appropriate nondiscrimination clauses in the respective contracts with or grants to such parties; (iii) to obtain and to furnish to the responsible Department official such information as he may require for the supervision or securing of such compliance; (iv) to carry out sanctions for noncompliance with the obligations imposed upon recipients and other parties subject to this part; and (v) to comply with such additional provisions as the responsible Department official deems appropriate to establish and protect the interests of the United States in the enforcement of these obligations. In the event that the cooperating recipient becomes involved in litigation with a noncomplying party as a result of such departmental direction, the cooperating recipient may request the Department to enter into such litigation to protect the interests of the United States.
(5) In the case of real property, structures or improvements thereon, or interests therein, which are acquired for a program receiving Federal financial assistance, or in the case where Federal financial assistance is provided in the form of a transfer of real property or interest therein from the Federal Government, the instrument effecting or recording the transfer shall contain a covenant running with the land assuring nondiscrimination for the period during which the real property is used for a purpose for which the Federal financial assistance is extended or for another purpose involving the provision of similar services or benefits, or for as long as the recipient retains ownership or possession of the property, whichever, is longer. Where no transfer of property is involved, but property is improved with Federal financial assistance, the recipient shall agree to include such a covenant in any subsequent transfer of such property. Where the property is obtained from the Federal Government, such covenant may also include a condition coupled with a right to be reserved by the Department to revert title to the property in the event of a breach of the covenant where, in the discretion of the responsible Department official, such a condition and right of reverter is appropriate to the statute under which the real property is obtained and to the nature of the grant and the grantee. In such event if a transferee of real property proposes to mortgage or otherwise encumber the real property as security for financing construction of new, or improvement of existing facilities on such property for the purposes for which the property was transferred, the responsible Department official may agree, upon request of the transferee and if necessary to accomplish such financing, and upon such conditions as he deems appropriate to forebear the exercise of such right to revert title for so long as the lien of such mortgage or other encumbrance remains effective.
(6) In programs receiving Federal financial assistance in the form, or for the acquisition, of real property or an interest in real property to the extent that rights to space on, over, or under any such property are included as part of the program receiving such assistance the nondiscrimination requirements of this part shall extend to any facility located wholly or in part in such space.
(7) That a recipient shall not take action that is calculated to bring about indirectly what this part forbids it to accomplish directly.
(8) Provisions specifying the extent to which like assurances will be required of subgrantees, contractors and subcontractors, lessees, transferees, successors in interest, and other participants in the program.
(9) Provisions which give the United States a right to seek judicial enforcement of the assurances.
(10) In the case where any assurances are required from an academic, a medical care, detention or correctional, or any other institution or facility, insofar as the assurances relate to the institution's practices with respect to the admission, care, or other treatment of persons by the institution or with respect to the opportunity of persons to participate in the receiving or providing of services, treatment, or benefits, such assurances shall be applicable to the entire institution or facility.
(11) In the case where the Federal financial assistance is in the form of or to aid in the acquisition of personal property, or real property or interest therein or structures thereon, the assurance shall obligate the recipients, or, in the case of a subsequent transfer, the transferee, for the period during which the property is used for a purpose for which the Federal financial assistance is extended or for another purpose involving the provision of similar services and benefits, or for as long as the recipient or transferee retains ownership or possession of the property, whichever is longer. In the case of any other type or form of assistance, the assurances shall be in effect for the duration of the period during which Federal financial assistance is extended to the program.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.