15 CFR Appendix Supplement No. 2 to Part 783 - Manufacturing Activities
The following constitute manufacturing activities that require the submission of a report to BIS, pursuant to § 783.1(a)(2) of the APR.
(1) The manufacture of centrifuge rotor tubes or the assembly of gas centrifuges. Centrifuge rotor tubes means thin-walled cylinders as described in section 5.1.1(b) of supplement no. 3 to this part. Gas centrifuges means centrifuges as described in the Introductory Note to section 5.1 of supplement no. 3 to this part.
(2) The manufacture of diffusion barriers. Diffusion barriers means thin, porous filters as described in section 5.3.1(a) of supplement no. 3 to this part.
(3) The manufacture or assembly of laser-based systems. Laser-based systems means systems incorporating those items as described in section 5.7 of supplement no. 3 to this part.
(4) The manufacture or assembly of electromagnetic isotope separators. Electromagnetic isotope separators means those items referred to in Section 5.9.1 of supplement no. 3 to this part containing ion sources as described in section 5.9.1(a) of supplement no. 3 to this part.
(5) The manufacture or assembly of columns or extraction equipment. Columns or extraction equipment means those items as described in sections 5.6.1, 5.6.2, 5.6.3, 5.6.5, 5.6.6, 5.6.7, and 5.6.8 of supplement no. 3 to this part.
(6) The manufacture of aerodynamic separation nozzles or vortex tubes. Aerodynamic separation nozzles or vortex tubes means separation nozzles and vortex tubes as described, respectively, in sections 5.5.1 and 5.5.2 of supplement no. 3 to this part.
(7) The manufacture or assembly of uranium plasma generation systems. Uranium plasma generation systems means systems for the generation of uranium plasma as described in section 5.8.3 of supplement no. 3 to this part.
(8) The manufacture of zirconium tubes. zirconium tubes means tubes as described in section 1.6 of supplement no. 3 to this part.
(9) The manufacture or upgrading of heavy water or deuterium. Heavy water or deuterium means deuterium, heavy water (deuterium oxide) and any other deuterium compound in which the ratio of deuterium to hydrogen atoms exceeds 1:5000.
(10) The manufacture of nuclear grade graphite. Nuclear grade graphite means graphite having a purity level better than 5 parts per million boron equivalent and with a density greater than 1.50 g/cm 3;
(11) The manufacture of flasks for irradiated fuel. A flask for irradiated fuel means a vessel for the transportation and/or storage of irradiated fuel that provides chemical, thermal and radiological protection, and dissipates decay heat during handling, transportation and storage.
(12) The manufacture of reactor control rods. Reactor control rods means rods as described in section 1.4 of supplement no. 3 to this part.
(13) The manufacture of critically safe tanks and vessels. Critically safe tanks and vessels means those items as described in sections 3.2 and 3.4 of supplement no. 3 to this part.
(14) The manufacture of irradiated fuel element chopping machines. Irradiated fuel element chopping machines means equipment as described in section 3.1 of supplement no. 3 to this part.
(15) The construction of hot cells. Hot cells means a cell or interconnected cells totaling at least 6 cubic meters in volume with shielding equal to or greater than the equivalent of 0.5 meters of concrete, with a density of 3.2 g/cm 3 or greater, outfitted with equipment for remote operations.