16 CFR 1027.4 - Notice requirements before offset.
(a) Salary offset shall not be made against an employee's pay unless the employee is provided with written notice signed by the Executive Director of the debt at least 30 days before salary offset commences.
(b) The written notice shall contain:
(1) A statement that the debt is owed and an explanation of its nature and amount;
(3) The amount, frequency, proposed beginning date, and duration of the intended deduction(s);
(4) An explanation of interest, penalties, and administrative charges, including a statement that such charges will be assessed unless excused in accordance with the Federal Claims Collections Standards at 4 CFR 101.1 et seq;
(5) The employee's right to inspect, request, and receive a copy of government records relating to the debt;
(6) The employee's opportunity to establish a written schedule for the voluntary repayment of the debt in lieu of offset;
(7) The employee's right to an oral hearing or a determination based on a review of the written record (“paper hearing”) conducted by an impartial hearing official concerning the existence or the amount of the debt, or the terms of the repayment schedule;
(8) The procedures and time period for petitioning for a hearing;
(9) A statement that a timely filing of a petition for a hearing will stay the commencement of collection proceedings;
(10) A statement that a final decision on the hearing (if requested) will be issued by the hearing official not later than 60 days after the filing of the petition requesting the hearing unless the employee requests and the hearing official grants a delay in the proceedings;
(11) A statement that knowingly false or frivolous statements, representations, or evidence may subject the employee to appropriate disciplinary procedures and/or statutory penalties;
(12) A statement of other rights and remedies available to the employee under statutes or regulations governing the program for which the collection is being made;
(13) Unless there are contractual or statutory provisions to the contrary, a statement that amounts paid on or deducted for the debt which are later waived or found not owed to the United States will be promptly refunded to the employee; and