16 CFR 455.1 - General duties of a used vehicle dealer; definitions.
(a) It is a deceptive act or practice for any used vehicle dealer, when that dealer sells or offers for sale a used vehicle in or affecting commerce as commerce is defined in the Federal Trade Commission Act:
(1) To misrepresent the mechanical condition of a used vehicle;
(2) To misrepresent the terms of any warranty offered in connection with the sale of a used vehicle; and
(3) To represent that a used vehicle is sold with a warranty when the vehicle is sold without any warranty.
(b) It is an unfair act or practice for any used vehicle dealer, when that dealer sells or offers for sale a used vehicle in or affecting commerce as commerce is defined in the Federal Trade Commission Act:
(1) To fail to disclose, prior to sale, that a used vehicle is sold without any warranty; and
(2) To fail to make available, prior to sale, the terms of any written warranty offered in connection with the sale of a used vehicle.
(c) The Commission has adopted this Rule in order to prevent the unfair and deceptive acts or practices defined in paragraphs (a) and (b). It is a violation of this Rule for any used vehicle dealer to fail to comply with the requirements set forth in §§ 455.2 through 455.5 of this part. If a used vehicle dealer complies with the requirements of §§ 455.2 through 455.5 of this part, the dealer does not violate this Rule.
(d) The following definitions shall apply for purposes of this part:
(1) Vehicle means any motorized vehicle, other than a motorcycle, with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 8500 lbs., a curb weight of less than 6,000 lbs., and a frontal area of less than 46 sq. ft.
(2) Used vehicle means any vehicle driven more than the limited use necessary in moving or road testing a new vehicle prior to delivery to a consumer, but does not include any vehicle sold only for scrap or parts (title documents surrendered to the State and a salvage certificate issued).
(3) Dealer means any person or business which sells or offers for sale a used vehicle after selling or offering for sale five (5) or more used vehicles in the previous twelve months, but does not include a bank or financial institution, a business selling a used vehicle to an employee of that business, or a lessor selling a leased vehicle by or to that vehicle's lessee or to an employee of the lessee.
(4) Consumer means any person who is not a used vehicle dealer.
(5) Warranty means any undertaking in writing, in connection with the sale by a dealer of a used vehicle, to refund, repair, replace, maintain or take other action with respect to such used vehicle and provided at no extra charge beyond the price of the used vehicle.
(6) Implied warranty means an implied warranty arising under State law (as modified by the Magnuson-Moss Act) in connection with the sale by a dealer of a used vehicle.
(7) Service contract means a contract in writing for any period of time or any specific mileage to refund, repair, replace, or maintain a used vehicle and provided at an extra charge beyond the price of the used vehicle, provided that such contract is not regulated in your State as the business of insurance.
(8) You means any dealer, or any agent or employee of a dealer, except where the term appears on the window form required by § 455.2(a).
Title 16 published on 2015-01-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 16 CFR Part 455 after this date.