§ 1.39Simultaneous buying and selling orders of different principals; execution of, for and between principals.
(a)Conditions and requirements. A member of a contract market or a swap execution facility who shall have at the same time both buying and selling orders of different principals for the same swap, commodity for future delivery in the same delivery month or the same option (both puts or both calls, with the same underlying contract for future delivery or the same underlying commodity, expiration date and strike price) may execute such orders for and directly between such principals at the market price, if in conformity with written rules of such contract market or swap execution facility which have been approved by or self-certified to the Commission, and:
(i) When trading is conducted in a trading pit or ring, such orders are first offered openly and competitively by open outcry in such trading pit or ring (A) by both bidding and offering at the same price, and neither such bid nor offer is accepted, or (B) by bidding and offering to a point where such offer is higher than such bid by not more than the minimum permissible price fluctuation applicable to such futures contract or commodity option on such contract market, and neither such bid nor offer is accepted; or
(ii) When in non-pit trading in swaps or contracts of sale for future delivery, bids and offers are posted on a board, such member:
(A) Pursuant to such buying order posts a bid on the board and, incident to the execution of such selling order, accepts such bid and all other bids posted at equal to or higher than the bid posted by him; or
(B) Pursuant to such selling order posts an offer on the board and, incident to the execution of such buying order, accepts such offer and all other offers posted at prices equal to or lower than the offer posted by him;
(2) Such member executes such orders in the presence of an official representative of such contract market or swap execution facility designated to observe such transactions and, by appropriate descriptive words or symbol, clearly identifies all such transactions on his trading card or other record, made at the time of execution, and notes thereon the exact time of execution and promptly presents or makes available said record to such official representative for verification and initialing, as appropriate;
(3) Such swap execution facility or contract market keeps a record in permanent form of each such transaction showing all transaction details required to be captured by the Act, Commission rule or regulation; and
(4) Neither the futures commission merchant, other registrant receiving nor the member executing such orders has any interest therein, directly or indirectly, except as a fiduciary.
(b)Large order execution procedures.
(1) A member of a contract market or a swap execution facility may execute simultaneous buying and selling orders of different principals directly between the principals in compliance with Commission regulations and large order execution procedures established by written rules of the contract market or swap execution facility that have been approved by or self-certified to the Commission: Provided, That, to the extent such large order execution procedures do not meet the conditions and requirements of paragraph (a) of this section, the contract market or swap execution facility has petitioned the Commission for, and the Commission has granted, an exemption from the conditions and requirements of paragraph (a) of this section. Any such petition must be accompanied by proposed contract market or swap execution facility rules to implement the large order execution procedures. The petition shall include:
(i) An explanation of why the proposed large order execution rules do not comply with paragraph (a) of this section; and
(ii) A description of a special surveillance program that would be followed by the contract market or swap execution facility in monitoring the large order execution procedures.
(2) The Commission may, in its discretion and upon such terms and conditions as it deems appropriate, grant such petition for exemption if it finds that the exemption is not contrary to the public interest and the purpose of the provision from which explanation is sought. The petition shall be considered concurrently with the proposed large order execution rules.
(c)Not deemed filling orders by offset. The execution of orders in compliance with the conditions herein set forth will not be deemed to constitute the filling of orders by offset within the meaning of section 4b(a) of the Act.