17 CFR 1.47 - Requirements for classification of purchases or sales of contracts for future delivery as bona fide hedging under
(a) Any person who wishes to avail himself of the provisions of § 1.3(z)(3) of the regulations and to make purchases or sales of any commodity for future delivery in any commodity in excess of trading and position limits then in effect pursuant to section 4a of the Act shall file statement with the Commission in conformity with the requirements of this section. All or a specified portion of the transactions and positions described in these statements shall not be considered as bona fide hedging if such person is so notified by the Commission:
(1) Within 30 days after the Commission is furnished the information required under paragraph (b) of this section, or
(2) Within 10 days after the Commission is furnished with the information required under paragraph (c) of this section.
The Commission may request the person notified to file specific additional information with the Commission to support a determination that all, or the specified portion, of the transactions and positions be considered as bona fide hedging transactions and positions. In such cases, the Commission shall consider all information so filed and, by notice to such person, shall specify the extent to which the Commission has determined that the transactions and positions may be classified as bona fide hedging. In no case shall transactions and positions described be considered as bona fide hedging if they exceed the levels specified in paragraph (d) of this section.
(b) Initial statement. Initial statements concerning the classification of transactions and positions as bona fide hedging pursuant to § 1.3(z)(3) shall be filed with the Commission at least 30 days in advance of the date that such transactions or positions would be in excess of limits then in effect pursuant to section 4a of the Act. Such statements shall:
(2) Set forth in detail information which will demonstrate that the purchases and sales are economically appropriate to the reduction of risk exposure attendant to the conduct and management of a commercial enterprise;
(3) Contain, and upon request of the Commission be supplemented by, such other information which is necessary to enable the Commission to make a determination whether the particular purchases and sales for future delivery fall within the scope of those described in section 1.3(z)(1) of the regulations;
(4) Include a statement concerning the maximum size of positions for future delivery (both long and short) which will be acquired any time during the next fiscal year or marketing season of the person filing or on whose behalf the filing is made.
(5) In addition: statements filed by an agent, concerning a futures position which would offset a cash position which the agent does not own or has not contracted to buy or sell, shall contain information describing all contractual arrangements between the agent filing and the person who owns the commodity or holds the cash market commitment being offset;
(6) Statements concerning futures positions to be acquired against unsold anticipated production or unfilled anticipated requirements for manufacturing, processing or feeding shall also include the information required under § 1.48 of the regulations.
(c) Supplemental reports. Whenever the purchases or sales which a person wishes to classify as bona fide hedging shall exceed the amount provided in the person's most recent filing pursuant to this section or the amount previously specified by the Commission pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section, such person shall file with the Commission a statement which updates the information provided in the person's most recent filing and provides the reasons for this change at least ten days in advance of the date that person wishes to exceed those amounts.
(d) Maximum purchases and sales. Purchases and sales for future delivery considered bona fide hedging pursuant to § 1.3(z)(3) of the regulations shall at no time exceed the lesser of:
(1) The value fluctuation equivalent (in terms of the commodity for future delivery) of the current cash position described in the information most recently filed pursuant to this section, or
(2) The maximum level of long or short open positions provided in the information most recently filed pursuant to this section or most recently specified by the Commission pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section.
(e) Updated reports. Reports updating the information required pursuant to this section also shall be filed with the Commission upon specific request.(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 3038-0013)
[42 FR 42751, Aug. 8, 1977, as amended at 46 FR 63035, Dec. 30, 1981]
Beta! The text on the eCFR tab represents the unofficial eCFR text at ecfr.gov.
This section’s status may have changed. It may have been renumbered, reserved, or removed.