17 CFR 151.1 - Definitions.
As used in this part -
Basis contract means an agreement, contract or transaction that is cash-settled based on the difference in price of the same commodity (or substantially the same commodity) at different delivery locations;
Calendar spread contract means a cash-settled agreement, contract, or transaction that represents the difference between the settlement price in one or a series of contract months of an agreement, contract or transaction and the settlement price of another contract month or another series of contract months' settlement prices for the same agreement, contract or transaction.
Commodity index contract means an agreement, contract, or transaction that is not a basis or any type of spread contract, based on an index comprised of prices of commodities that are not the same or substantially the same; provided that, a commodity index contract used to circumvent speculative position limits shall be considered to be a Referenced Contract for the purpose of applying the position limits of § 151.4.
Core Referenced Futures Contract means a futures contract that is listed in § 151.2.
Eligible Entity means a commodity pool operator; the operator of a trading vehicle which is excluded, or which itself has qualified for exclusion from the definition of the term “pool” or “commodity pool operator,” respectively, under § 4.5 of this chapter the limited partner or shareholder in a commodity pool the operator of which is exempt from registration under § 4.13 of this chapter; a commodity trading advisor; a bank or trust company; a savings association; an insurance company; or the separately organized affiliates of any of the above entities:
(1) Which authorizes an independent account controller independently to control all trading decisions with respect to the eligible entity's client positions and accounts that the independent account controller holds directly or indirectly, or on the eligible entity's behalf, but without the eligible entity's day-to-day direction; and
(2) Which maintains:
(i) Only such minimum control over the independent account controller as is consistent with its fiduciary responsibilities to the managed positions and accounts, and necessary to fulfill its duty to supervise diligently the trading done on its behalf; or
(ii) If a limited partner or shareholder of a commodity pool the operator of which is exempt from registration under § 4.13 of this chapter, only such limited control as is consistent with its status.
Entity means a “person” as defined in section 1a of the Act.
Excluded commodity means an “excluded commodity” as defined in section 1a of the Act.
Independent Account Controller means a person:
(1) Who specifically is authorized by an eligible entity independently to control trading decisions on behalf of, but without the day-to-day direction of, the eligible entity;
(2) Over whose trading the eligible entity maintains only such minimum control as is consistent with its fiduciary responsibilities for managed positions and accounts to fulfill its duty to supervise diligently the trading done on its behalf or as is consistent with such other legal rights or obligations which may be incumbent upon the eligible entity to fulfill;
(3) Who trades independently of the eligible entity and of any other independent account controller trading for the eligible entity;
(4) Who has no knowledge of trading decisions by any other independent account controller; and
(5) Who is registered as a futures commission merchant, an introducing broker, a commodity trading advisor, or an associated person of any such registrant, or is a general partner of a commodity pool the operator of which is exempt from registration under § 4.13 of this chapter.
Intercommodity spread contract means a cash-settled agreement, contract or transaction that represents the difference between the settlement price of a Referenced Contract and the settlement price of another contract, agreement, or transaction that is based on a different commodity.
Referenced Contract means, on a futures equivalent basis with respect to a particular Core Referenced Futures Contract, a Core Referenced Futures Contract listed in § 151.2, or a futures contract, options contract, swap or swaption, other than a basis contract or commodity index contract, that is:
(1) Directly or indirectly linked, including being partially or fully settled on, or priced at a fixed differential to, the price of that particular Core Referenced Futures Contract; or
(2) Directly or indirectly linked, including being partially or fully settled on, or priced at a fixed differential to, the price of the same commodity underlying that particular Core Referenced Futures Contract for delivery at the same location or locations as specified in that particular Core Referenced Futures Contract.
Spot month means, for Referenced Contracts, the spot month defined in § 151.3.
Spot-month, single-month, and all-months-combined position limits mean, for Referenced Contracts based on a commodity identified in § 151.2, the maximum number of contracts a trader may hold as set forth in § 151.4.
Spread contract means either a calendar spread contract or an intercommodity spread contract.
Swap means “swap” as defined in section 1a of the Act and as further defined by the Commission.
Swap dealer means “swap dealer” as that term is defined in section 1a of the Act and as further defined by the Commission.
Swaption means an option to enter into a swap or a physical commodity option.
Trader means a person that, for its own account or for an account that it controls, makes transactions in Referenced Contracts or has such transactions made.