17 CFR § 204.77 - Referrals to collection agencies.
(b) The Commission will use private collection agencies where it determines that their use is in the best interest of the Government. Where the Commission determines that there is a need to contract for collection services, the contract will provide that:
(1) The authority to resolve disputes, compromise claims, suspend or terminate collection action, or refer the matter to the Department of Justice for litigation or to take any other action under this part will be retained by the Commission;
(2) Contractors are subject to the Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, to the extent specified in 5 U.S.C. 552a(m) and to applicable Federal and State laws and regulations pertaining to debt collection practices, such as the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C. 1692;
(3) The contractor is required to strictly account for all amounts collected;
(4) The contractor must agree that uncollectible accounts shall be returned with appropriate documentation to enable Commission to determine whether to pursue collection through litigation or to terminate collection; and
(5) The contractor must agree to provide any data in its files requested by the Commission upon returning the account to the Commission for subsequent referral to the Department of Justice for litigation.