17 CFR 210.10-01 - Interim financial statements.
(a)Condensed statements. Interim financial statements shall follow the general form and content of presentation prescribed by the other sections of this Regulation with the following exceptions:
(1) Interim financial statements required by this rule need only be provided as to the registrant and its subsidiaries consolidated and may be unaudited. Separate statements of other entities which may otherwise be required by this regulation may be omitted.
(2) Interim balance sheets shall include only major captions (i.e., numbered captions) prescribed by the applicable sections of this Regulation with the exception of inventories. Data as to raw materials, work in process and finished goods inventories shall be included either on the face of the balance sheet or in the notes to the financial statements, if applicable. Where any major balance sheet caption is less than 10% of total assets, and the amount in the caption has not increased or decreased by more than 25% since the end of the preceding fiscal year, the caption may be combined with others.
(3) Interim statements of income shall also include major captions prescribed by the applicable sections of this Regulation. When any major income statement caption is less than 15% of average net income for the most recent three fiscal years and the amount in the caption has not increased or decreased by more than 20% as compared to the corresponding interim period of the preceding fiscal year, the caption may be combined with others. In calculating average net income, loss years should be excluded. If losses were incurred in each of the most recent three years, the average loss shall be used for purposes of this test. Notwithstanding these tests, § 210.4-02 applies and de minimis amounts therefore need not be shown separately, except that registrants reporting under § 210.9 shall show investment securities gains or losses separately regardless of size.
(4) The statement of cash flows may be abbreviated starting with a single figure of net cash flows from operating activities and showing cash changes from investing and financing activities individually only when they exceed 10% of the average of net cash flows from operating activities for the most recent three years. Notwithstanding this test, § 210.4-02 applies and de minimis amounts therefore need not be shown separately.
(5) The interim financial information shall include disclosures either on the face of the financial statements or in accompanying footnotes sufficient so as to make the interim information presented not misleading. Registrants may presume that users of the interim financial information have read or have access to the audited financial statements for the preceding fiscal year and that the adequacy of additional disclosure needed for a fair presentation, except in regard to material contingencies, may be determined in that context. Accordingly, footnote disclosure which would substantially duplicate the disclosure contained in the most recent annual report to security holders or latest audited financial statements, such as a statement of significant accounting policies and practices, details of accounts which have not changed significantly in amount or composition since the end of the most recently completed fiscal year, and detailed disclosures prescribed by Rule 4-08 of this Regulation, may be omitted. However, disclosure shall be provided where events subsequent to the end of the most recent fiscal year have occurred which have a material impact on the registrant. Disclosures should encompass for example, significant changes since the end of the most recently completed fiscal year in such items as: accounting principles and practices; estimates inherent in the preparation of financial statements; status of long-term contracts; capitalization including significant new borrowings or modification of existing financing arrangements; and the reporting entity resulting from business combinations or dispositions. Notwithstanding the above, where material contingencies exist, disclosure of such matters shall be provided even though a significant change since year end may not have occurred.
(6) Detailed schedules otherwise required by this Regulation may be omitted for purposes of preparing interim financial statements.
(7) In addition to the financial statements required by paragraphs (a) (2), (3) and (4) of this section, registrants in the development stage shall provide the cumulative financial statements (condensed to the same degree as allowed in this paragraph) and disclosures required by FASB ASC Topic 915, Development Stage Entities, to the date of the latest balance sheet presented.
(b)Other instructions as to content. The following additional instructions shall be applicable for purposes of preparing interim financial statements:
(1) Summarized income statement information shall be given separately as to each subsidiary not consolidated or 50 percent or less owned persons or as to each group of such subsidiaries or fifty percent or less owned persons for which separate individual or group statements would otherwise be required for annual periods. Such summarized information, however, need not be furnished for any such unconsolidated subsidiary or person which would not be required pursuant to Rule 13a-13 or 15d-13 to file quarterly financial information with the Commission if it were a registrant.
(2) If appropriate, the income statement shall show earnings per share and dividends declared per share applicable to common stock. The basis of the earnings per share computation shall be stated together with the number of shares used in the computation. In addition, see Item 601(b)(11) of Regulation S-K, ( 17 CFR 229.601(b)(11)).
(3) If, during the most recent interim period presented, the registrant or any of its consolidated subsidiaries entered into a combination between entities under common control, the interim financial statements for both the current year and the preceding year shall reflect the combined results of the combined businesses. Supplemental disclosure of the separate results of the combined entities for periods prior to the combination shall be given, with appropriate explanations.
(4) Where a material business combination has occurred during the current fiscal year, pro forma disclosure shall be made of the results of operations for the current year up to the date of the most recent interim balance sheet provided (and for the corresponding period in the preceding year) as though the companies had combined at the beginning of the period being reported on. This pro forma information shall, at a minimum, show revenue, income before extraordinary items and the cumulative effect of accounting changes, including such income on a per share basis, net income, net income attributable to the registrant, and net income per share.
(5) Where the registrant has reported a discontinued operation (as required by FASB ASC Subtopic 205-20, Presentation of Financial Statements - Discontinued Operations) during any of the periods covered by the interim financial statements, the effect thereof on revenues and net income - total and per share - for all periods shall be disclosed.
(6) In addition to meeting the reporting requirements specified by existing standards for accounting changes, the registrant shall state the date of any material accounting change and the reasons for making it. In addition, for filings on Form 10-Q, a letter from the registrant's independent accountant shall be filed as an exhibit (in accordance with the provisions of Item 601 of Regulation S-K, 17 CFR 229.601) in the first Form 10-Q after the date of an accounting change indicating whether or not the change is to an alternative principle which, in the accountant's judgment, is preferable under the circumstances; except that no letter from the accountant need be filed when the change is made in response to a standard adopted by the Financial Accounting Standards Board that requires such change.
(7) Any material retroactive prior period adjustment made during any period convered by the interim financial statements shall be disclosed, together with the effect thereof upon net income - total and per share - of any prior period included and upon the balance of retained earnings. If results of operations for any period presented have been adjusted retroactively by such an item subsequent to the initial reporting of such period, similar disclosure of the effect of the change shall be made.
(8) Any unaudited interim financial statements furnished shall reflect all adjustments which are, in the opinion of management, necessary to a fair statement of the results for the interim periods presented. A statement to that effect shall be included. Such adjustments shall include, for example, appropriate estimated provisions for bonus and profit sharing arrangements normally determined or settled at year-end. If all such adjustments are of a normal recurring nature, a statement to that effect shall be made; otherwise, there shall be furnished information describing in appropriate detail the nature and amount of any adjustments other than normal recurring adjustments entering into the determination of the results shown.
(c)Periods to be covered. The periods for which interim financial statements are to be provided in registration statements are prescribed elsewhere in this Regulation (see §§ 210.3-01 and 3-02). For filings on Form 10-Q, financial statements shall be provided as set forth in this paragraph (c):
(1) An interim balance sheet as of the end of the most recent fiscal quarter and a balance sheet as of the end of the preceding fiscal year shall be provided. The balance sheet as of the end of the preceding fiscal year may be condensed to the same degree as the interim balance sheet provided. An interim balance sheet as of the end of the corresponding fiscal quarter of the preceding fiscal year need not be provided unless necessary for an understanding of the impact of seasonal fluctuations on the registrant's financial condition.
(2) Interim statements of income shall be provided for the most recent fiscal quarter, for the period between the end of the preceding fiscal year and the end of the most recent fiscal quarter, and for the corresponding periods of the preceding fiscal year. Such statements may also be presented for the cumulative twelve month period ended during the most recent fiscal quarter and for the corresponding preceding period.
(3) Interim statements of cash flows shall be provided for the period between the end of the preceding fiscal year and the end of the most recent fiscal quarter, and for the corresponding period of the preceding fiscal year. Such statements may also be presented for the cumulative twelve month period ended during the most recent fiscal quarter and for the corresponding preceding period.
(4) Registrants engaged in seasonal production and sale of a single-crop agricultural commodity may provide interim statements of income and cash flows for the twelve month period ended during the most recent fiscal quarter and for the corresponding preceding period in lieu of the year-to-date statements specified in (2) and (3) above.
(d)Interim review by independent public accountant. Prior to filing, interim financial statements included in quarterly reports on Form 10-Q ( 17 CFR 249.308(a)) must be reviewed by an independent public accountant using professional standards and procedures for conducting such reviews, as established by generally accepted auditing standards, as may be modified or supplemented by the Commission. If, in any filing, the company states that interim financial statements have been reviewed by an independent public accountant, a report of the accountant on the review must be filed with the interim financial statements.
(e)Filing of other interim financial information in certain cases. The Commission may, upon the informal written request of the registrant, and where consistent with the protection of investors, permit the omission of any of the interim financial information herein required or the filing in substitution thereof of appropriate information of comparable character. The Commission may also by informal written notice require the filing of other information in addition to, or in substitution for, the interim information herein required in any case where such information is necessary or appropriate for an adequate presentation of the financial condition of any person for which interim financial information is required, or whose financial information is otherwise necessary for the protection of investors.
- 17 CFR 210.3-02 — Consolidated Statements of Income and Changes in Financial Positions.
- 17 CFR 240.14a-101 — Schedule 14A. Information Required in Proxy Statement.
- 17 CFR 210.3-10 — Financial Statements of Guarantors and Issuers of Guaranteed Securities Registered or Being Registered.
- 17 CFR 210.3-01 — Consolidated Balance Sheets.
- 17 CFR 232.401 — XBRL-Related Document Submissions.
- 17 CFR 210.1-02 — Definitions of Terms Used in Regulation S-X (17 CFR Part 210).
- 17 CFR 210.12-04 — Condensed Financial Information of Registrant.