17 CFR 240.12g3-2 - Exemptions for American depositary receipts and certain foreign securities.
(a) Securities of any class issued by any foreign private issuer shall be exempt from section 12(g) ( 15 U.S.C. 78l(g)) of the Act if the class has fewer than 300 holders resident in the United States. This exemption shall continue until the next fiscal year end at which the issuer has a class of equity securities held by 300 or more persons resident in the United States. For the purpose of determining whether a security is exempt pursuant to this paragraph:
(1) Securities held of record by persons resident in the United States shall be determined as provided in § 240.12g5-1 except that securities held of record by a broker, dealer, bank or nominee for any of them for the accounts of customers resident in the United States shall be counted as held in the United States by the number of separate accounts for which the securities are held. The issuer may rely in good faith on information as to the number of such separate accounts supplied by all owners of the class of its securities which are brokers, dealers, or banks or a nominee for any of them.
(2) Persons in the United States who hold the security only through a Canadian Retirement Account (as that term is defined in rule 237(a)(2) under the Securities Act of 1933 ( § 230.237(a)(2) of this chapter)), shall not be counted as holders resident in the United States.
(ii) The issuer currently maintains a listing of the subject class of securities on one or more exchanges in a foreign jurisdiction that, either singly or together with the trading of the same class of the issuer's securities in another foreign jurisdiction, constitutes the primary trading market for those securities; and
(iii) The issuer has published in English, on its Internet Web site or through an electronic information delivery system generally available to the public in its primary trading market, information that, since the first day of its most recently completed fiscal year, it:
(A) Has made public or been required to make public pursuant to the laws of the country of its incorporation, organization or domicile;
(C) Has distributed or been required to distribute to its security holders.
For the purpose of paragraph (b) of this section, primary trading market means that at least 55 percent of the trading in the subject class of securities on a worldwide basis took place in, on or through the facilities of a securities market or markets in a single foreign jurisdiction or in no more than two foreign jurisdictions during the issuer's most recently completed fiscal year. If a foreign private issuer aggregates the trading of its subject class of securities in two foreign jurisdictions for the purpose of this paragraph, the trading for the issuer's securities in at least one of the two foreign jurisdictions must be larger than the trading in the United States for the same class of the issuer's securities. When determining an issuer's primary trading market under this paragraph, calculate average daily trading volume in the United States and on a worldwide basis as under Rule 12h-6 under the Act ( § 240.12h-6).
Paragraph (b)(1)(iii) of this section does not apply to an issuer when claiming the exemption under paragraph (b) of this section upon the effectiveness of the termination of its registration of a class of securities under section 12(g) of the Act, or the termination of its obligation to file or furnish reports under section 15(d) of the Act.
(i) In order to maintain the exemption under paragraph (b) of this section, a foreign private issuer shall publish, on an ongoing basis and for each subsequent fiscal year, in English, on its Internet Web site or through an electronic information delivery system generally available to the public in its primary trading market, the information specified in paragraph (b)(1)(iii) of this section.
(i) The information required to be published electronically under paragraph (b) of this section is information that is material to an investment decision regarding the subject securities, such as information concerning:
(A) Results of operations or financial condition;
(B) Changes in business;
(C) Acquisitions or dispositions of assets;
(D) The issuance, redemption or acquisition of securities;
(E) Changes in management or control;
(F) The granting of options or the payment of other remuneration to directors or officers; and
(G) Transactions with directors, officers or principal security holders.
(ii) At a minimum, a foreign private issuer shall electronically publish English translations of the following documents required to be published under paragraph (b) of this section if in a foreign language:
(A) Its annual report, including or accompanied by annual financial statements;
(B) Interim reports that include financial statements;
(C) Press releases; and
(D) All other communications and documents distributed directly to security holders of each class of securities to which the exemption relates.
- 17 CFR 230.135c — Notice of Certain Proposed Unregistered Offerings.
- 17 CFR 230.144A — Private Resales of Securities to Institutions.
- 17 CFR 240.13e-4 — Tender Offers by Issuers.
- 17 CFR 230.800 — Definitions for §§ 230.800, 230.801 and 230.802.
- 17 CFR 240.14d-1 — Scope of and Definitions Applicable to Regulations 14D and 14E.
- 17 CFR 239.36 — Form F-6, for Registration Under the Securities Act of 1933 of Depositary Shares Evidenced by American Depositary Receipts.
- 17 CFR 240.12g-3 — Registration of Securities of Successor Issuers Under Section 12(b) or 12(g).
- 17 CFR 200.30-1 — Delegation of Authority to Director of Division of Corporation Finance.
- 17 CFR 230.405 — Definitions of Terms.
- 17 CFR 240.12h-6 — Certification by a Foreign Private Issuer Regarding the Termination of Registration of a Class of Securities Under Section 12(g) or the Duty to File Reports Under Section 13(a) or Section 15(d).
- 17 CFR 240.15c2-11 — Initiation or Resumption of Quotations Without Specific Information.
- 17 CFR 240.3b-4 — Definition of “foreign Government,” “foreign Issuer” and “foreign Private Issuer”.
- 17 CFR 240.3a68-1a — Meaning of “issuers of Securities in a Narrow-Based Security Index” as Used in Section 3(a)(68)(A)(ii)(III) of the Act.
- 17 CFR 240.3a68-1b — Meaning of “narrow-Based Security Index” as Used in Section 3(a)(68)(A)(ii)(I) of the Act.