17 CFR 240.15c2-7 - Identification of quotations.
(a) It shall constitute an attempt to induce the purchase or sale of a security by making a “fictitious quotation” within the meaning of section 15(c)(2) of the Act, for any broker or dealer to furnish or submit, directly or indirectly, any quotation for a security (other than a municipal security) to an inter-dealer quotation system unless:
(1) The inter-dealer-quotation-system is informed, if such is the case, that the quotation is furnished or submitted;
(i) By a correspondent broker or dealer for the account or in behalf of another broker or dealer, and if so, the identity of such other broker or dealer; and/or
(ii) In furtherance of one or more other arrangements (including a joint account, guarantee of profit, guarantee against loss, commission, markup, markdown, indication of interest and accommodation arrangement) between or among brokers or dealers, and if so, the identity of each broker or dealer participating in any such arrangement or arrangements: Provided, however, That the provisions of this subparagraph shall not apply if only one of the brokers or dealers participating in any such arrangment or arrangements furnishes or submits a quotation with respect to the security to an inter-dealer-quotation-system.
(2) The inter-dealer-quotation-system to which the quotation is furnished or submitted makes it a general practice to disclose with each published quotation, by appropriate symbol or otherwise, the category or categories (paragraph (a)(1)(i) and/or (ii) of this section) in furtherance of which the quotation is submitted, and the identities of all other brokers and dealers referred to in paragraph (a)(1) of this section where such information is supplied to the inter-dealer-quotation-system under the provisions of paragraph (a)(1) of this section.
(b) It shall constitute an attempt to induce the purchase or sale of a security by making a “fictitious quotation,” within the meaning of section 15(c)(2) of the Act, for a broker or dealer to enter into any correspondent or other arrangement (including a joint account, guarantee of profit, guarantee against loss, commission, markup, markdown, indication of interest and accommodation arrangement) in furtherance of which two or more brokers or dealers furnish or submit quotations with respect to a particular security unless such broker or dealer informs all brokers or dealers furnishing or submitting such quotations of the existence of such correspondent and other arrangments, and the identity of the parties thereto.
(c) For purposes of this section:
(1) The term inter-dealer-quotation-system shall mean any system of general circulation to brokers and dealers which regularly disseminates quotations of identified brokers or dealers but shall not include a quotation sheet prepared and distributed by a broker or dealer in the regular course of his business and containing only quotations of such broker or dealer.
(2) The term quotation shall mean any bid or offer, or any indication of interest (such as OW or BW) in any bid or offer.
(3) The term correspondent shall mean a broker or dealer who has a direct line of communication to another broker or dealer located in a different city or geographic area.
Title 17 published on 2015-04-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 17 CFR Part 240 after this date.