17 CFR 240.15c3-1c - Consolidated computations of net capital and aggregate indebtedness for certain subsidiaries and affiliates (Appendix C to 17 CFR 240.15c3-1).
(a) Flow through capital benefits. Every broker or dealer in computing its net capital and aggregate indebtedness pursuant to 17 CFR 240.15c3-1 shall, subject to the provisions of paragraphs (b) and (d) of this appendix, consolidate in a single computation assets and liabilities of any subsidiary or affiliate for which it guarantees, endorses or assumes directly or indirectly the obligations or liabilities. The assets and liabilities of a subsidiary or affiliate whose liabilities and obligations have not been guaranteed, endorsed, or assumed directly or indirectly by the broker or dealer may also be so consolidated if an opinion of counsel is obtained as provided for in paragraph (b) of this section.
(b) Required counsel opinions. (1) If the consolidation, provided for in paragraph (a) of this section, of any such subsidiary or affiliate results in the increase of the broker's or dealers's net capital and/or the decrease of the broker's or dealer's minimum net capital requirement under paragraph (a) of § 240.15c3-1 and an opinion of counsel described in paragraph (b)(2) of this section has not been obtained, such benefits shall not be recognized in the broker's or dealer's computation required by this section.
(2) Except as provided for in paragraph (b)(1) of this section, consolidation shall be permitted with respect to any subsidiaries or affiliates which are majority owned and controlled by the broker or dealer for which the broker or dealer can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Commission, through the Examining Authority, by an opinion of counsel that the net asset values, or the portion thereof related to the parent's ownership interest in the subsidiary or affiliate may be caused by the broker or dealer or a trustee appointed pursuant to the Securities Investor Protection Act of 1970 or otherwise, to be distributed to the broker or dealer within 30 calendar days. Such opinion shall also set forth the actions necessary to cause such a distribution to be made, identify the parties having the authority to take such actions, identify and describe the rights of other parties or classes of parties, including but not limited to customers, general creditors, subordinated lenders, minority shareholders, employees, litigants and governmental or regulatory authorities, who may delay or prevent such a distribution and such other assurances as the Commission or the Examining Authority by rule or interpretation may require. Such opinion shall be current and periodically renewed in connection with the broker's or dealer's annual audit pursuant to 17 CFR 240.17a-5 under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 or upon any material change in circumstances.
(c) Principles of consolidation. In preparing a consolidated computation of net capital and/or aggregate indebtedness pursuant to this section, the following minimum and non-exclusive requirements shall be observed:
(1) Consolidated net worth shall be reduced by the estimated amount of any tax reasonably anticipated to be incurred upon distribution of the assets of the subsidiary or affiliate.
(2) Liabilities of a consolidated subsidiary or affiliate which are subordinated to the claims of present and future creditors pursuant to a satisfactory subordination agreement shall not be added to consolidated net worth unless such subordination extends also to the claims of present or future creditors of the parent broker or dealer and all consolidated subsidiaries.
(3) Subordinated liabilities of a consolidated subsidiary or affiliate which are consolidated in accordance with paragraph (c)(2) of this section may not be prepaid, repaid or accelerated if any of the entities included in such consolidation would otherwise be unable to comply with the provisions of Appendix (D), 17 CFR 240.15c3-1d.
(4) Each broker or dealer included within the consolidation shall at all times be in compliance with the net capital requirement to which it is subject.
(d) Certain precluded acts. No broker or dealer shall guarantee, endorse or assume directly or indirectly any obligation or liability of a subsidiary or affiliate unless the obligation or liability is reflected in the computation of net capital and/or aggregate indebtedness pursuant to 17 CFR 240.15c3-1 or this appendix (C), except as provided in paragraph (b)(1) of this section.
Title 17 published on 2015-04-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 17 CFR Part 240 after this date.