17 CFR 240.3a12-5 - Exemption of certain investment contract securities from sections 7(c) and 11(d)(1).
(a) An investment contract security involving the direct ownership of specified residential real property shall be exempted from the provisions of sections 7(c) and 11(d)(1) of the Act with respect to any transaction by a broker or dealer who, directly or indirectly, arranges for the extension or maintenance of credit on the security to or from a customer, if the credit:
(1) Is secured by a lien, mortgage, deed of trust, or any other similar security interest related only to real property: Provided, however, That this provision shall not prevent a lender from requiring (i) a security interest in the common areas and recreational facilities or furniture and fixtures incidental to the investment contract if the purchase of such furniture and fixtures is required by, or subject to the approval of, the issuer, as a condition of purchase; or (ii) an assignment of future rentals in the event of default by the purchaser or a co-signer or guarantor on the debt obligation other than the issuer, its affiliates, or any broker or dealer offering such securities;
(2) Is to be repaid by periodic payments of principal and interest pursuant to an amortization schedule established by the governing instruments: Provided, however, That this provision shall not prevent the extension of credit on terms which require the payment of interest only, if extended in compliance with the other provisions of this rule; and
(3) Is extended by a lender which is not, directly or indirectly controlling, controlled by, or under common control with the broker or dealer or the issuer of the securities or affiliates thereof.
(b) For purposes of this rule:
(1) Residential real property shall mean real property containing living accommodations, whether used on a permanent or transient basis, and may include furniture or fixtures if required as a condition of purchase of the investment contract or if subject to the approval of the issuer.
(2) Direct ownership shall mean ownership of a fee or leasehold estate or a beneficial interest in a trust the purchase of which, under applicable local law, is financed and secured by a security interest therein similar to a mortgage or deed of trust, but it shall not include an interest in a real estate investment trust, an interest in a general or limited partnership, or similar indirect interest in the ownership of real property.
Title 17 published on 2015-04-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 17 CFR Part 240 after this date.