17 CFR § 270.3a-9 - Crowdfunding vehicle.
(a) Notwithstanding section 3(a) of the Act, a crowdfunding vehicle will be deemed not to be an investment company if the vehicle:
(1) Is organized and operated for the sole purpose of directly acquiring, holding, and disposing of securities issued by a single crowdfunding issuer and raising capital in one or more offerings made in compliance with §§ 227.100 through 227.504 (Regulation Crowdfunding);
(2) Does not borrow money and uses the proceeds from the sale of its securities solely to purchase a single class of securities of a single crowdfunding issuer;
(3) Issues only one class of securities in one or more offerings under Regulation Crowdfunding in which the crowdfunding vehicle and the crowdfunding issuer are deemed to be co-issuers under the Securities Act (15 U.S.C. 77a et seq.);
(4) Receives a written undertaking from the crowdfunding issuer to fund or reimburse the expenses associated with its formation, operation, or winding up, receives no other compensation, and any compensation paid to any person operating the vehicle is paid solely by the crowdfunding issuer;
(6) Maintains a one-to-one relationship between the number, denomination, type and rights of crowdfunding issuer securities it owns and the number, denomination, type and rights of its securities outstanding;
(7) Seeks instructions from the holders of its securities with regard to:
(8) Receives, from the crowdfunding issuer, all disclosures and other information required under Regulation Crowdfunding and the crowdfunding vehicle promptly provides such disclosures and other information to the investors and potential investors in the crowdfunding vehicle's securities and to the relevant intermediary; and
(9) Provides to each investor the right to direct the crowdfunding vehicle to assert the rights under State and Federal law that the investor would have if he or she had invested directly in the crowdfunding issuer and provides to each investor any information that it receives from the crowdfunding issuer as a shareholder of record of the crowdfunding issuer.
(b) For purposes of this section:
(1) Crowdfunding issuer means a company that seeks to raise capital as a co-issuer with a crowdfunding vehicle in an offering that complies with all of the requirements under section 4(a)(6) of the Securities Act (15 U.S.C. 77d(a)(6)) and Regulation Crowdfunding.
(2) Crowdfunding vehicle means an issuer formed by or on behalf of a crowdfunding issuer for the purpose of conducting an offering under section 4(a)(6) of the Securities Act (15 U.S.C. 77d(a)(6)) as a co-issuer with the crowdfunding issuer, which offering is controlled by the crowdfunding issuer.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.