18 CFR 1307.1 - Definitions.
prev | next
As used in this part, the following terms have the stated meanings, unless the context otherwise requires:
(a) Section 504 means section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Pub. L. 93-112, as amended, 29 U.S.C. 794.
(b) Recipient means any individual, any State or its political subdivision, or any instrumentality of either, and any public or private agency, institution, organization, or other entity to which financial assistance is extended by TVA directly or through another recipient, including any successor, assignee, or transferee of a recipient as hereinafter set forth, but excluding the ultimate beneficiary of the assistance.
(c) Financial assistance means the grant or loan of money; the donation of real or personal property; the sale, lease, or license of real or personal property for a consideration which is nominal or reduced for the purpose of assisting the recipient; the waiver of charges which would normally be made, in order to assist the recipient; the entry into a contract where a purpose is to give financial assistance to the contracting party; and similar transactions.
(d) Facility means all or any portion of buildings, structures, equipment, roads, walks, parking lots, or other real or personal property or interest in such property.
(e) Federal agency means any department, agency, or instrumentality of the Government of the United States, other than TVA.
(f) Handicapped person means any individual who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment, as further defined below, except that, as related to employment, the term handicapped individual does not include any individual who is an alcoholic or drug abuser whose current use of alcohol or drugs prevents such individual from performing the duties of the job in question or whose employment, by reason of such current drug or alcohol abuse, would constitute a direct threat to property or the safety of others:
(1) Physical or mental impairment means (i) any physiological disorder or condition, cosmetic disfigurement, or anatomical loss affecting one or more of the following body systems: Neurological; musculoskeletal; special sense organs; respiratory, including speech organs; cardiovascular; reproductive; digestive; genitourinary; hemic and lymphatic; skin; and endocrine; or (ii) any mental or psychological disorder, such as mental retardation, organic brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness, and specific learning disabilities. The term physical or mental impairment includes, but is not limited to, such diseases and conditions as orthopedic, visual, speech, and hearing impairments; cerebral palsy; epilepsy; muscular dystrophy; multiple sclerosis; cancer; heart disease; diabetes; mental retardation; emotional illness; and drug addiction and alcoholism.
(2) Major life activities means functions such as caring for one's self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.
(3) Has a record of such an impairment means has a history of, or has been misclassified as having, a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.
(4) Is regarded as having such an impairment means (i) has a physical or mental impairment that does not substantially limit major life activities but which is treated by a recipient as constituting such a limitation; (ii) has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits major life activities only as a result of the attitudes of others toward the impairment; or (iii) does not have a physical or mental impairment as defined in paragraph (f)(1) of this section but is treated by a recipient as having such an impairment.
(g) Qualified handicapped person means (1) with respect to employment, a handicapped person (except an alcoholic or drug abuser as defined in paragraph (f) of this section), who, with reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the job in question and (2) with respect to services, a handicapped person who meets the essential eligibility requirements for the receipt of such services.
(h) Historic property means an architecturally, historically, or culturally significant property listed in or eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places, or a property officially designated as having architectural, historic, or cultural significance under a statute of the appropriate State or local governmental body.
(i) Building alterations means those changes to existing conditions and equipment of a building which do not involve any structural changes, but which typically improve and upgrade a building, such as site improvements and alterations to stairways, doors, toilets or elevators.
(j) Structural changes shall mean those changes which alter the structure of a building, including but not limited to its load bearing walls and all types of post and beam systems in wood, steel, iron or concrete.
(k) Program or activity means all of the operations of any entity described in paragraphs (k)(1) through (4) of this section, any part of which is extended Federal financial assistance:
(i) A department, agency, special purpose district, or other instrumentality of a State or of a local government; or
(ii) The entity of such State or local government that distributes such assistance and each such department or agency (and each other State or local government entity) to which the assistance is extended, in the case of assistance to a State or local government;
(i) A college, university, or other postsecondary institution, or a public system of higher education; or
(ii) A local educational agency (as defined in 20 U.S.C. 7801), system of vocational education, or other school system;
(i) An entire corporation, partnership, or other private organization, or an entire sole proprietorship—
(A) If assistance is extended to such corporation, partnership, private organization, or sole proprietorship as a whole; or
(B) Which is principally engaged in the business of providing education, health care, housing, social services, or parks and recreation; or
(ii) The entire plant or other comparable, geographically separate facility to which Federal financial assistance is extended, in the case of any other corporation, partnership, private organization, or sole proprietorship; or
(4) Any other entity which is established by two or more of the entities described in paragraph (k)(1), (2), or (3) of this section.
[45 FR 22895, Apr. 4, 1980, as amended at 68 FR 51356, Aug. 26, 2003]
Title 18 published on 2015-04-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 18 CFR Part 1307.