18 CFR 725.7 - Regional or river basin planning.
(a) In agreements between river basin commissions or other regional planning sponsors and the Council for the preparation and revision of regional and river basin Level B Studies and regional water resource management plans, the responsible official representing the river basin commission or regional planning sponsor shall certify to the Council that the following criteria have been or will be utilized as part of the planning process:
(1) Determination of whether proposed activities would be located in floodplains or wetlands, or, even if located outside of them, would have the potential to affect floodplains or wetlands;
(2) Avoidance of performing activities within floodplains or wetlands wherever there is a practicable alternative;
(3) Where avoidance of floodplains cannot be achieved, minimization of adverse impacts and support of floodplain development, and preservation and restoration of natural and beneficial floodplain values;
(4) Where avoidance of wetlands cannot be achieved, minimization of adverse impacts and support of new construction in wetlands, and preservation and enhancement of natural and beneficial wetlands values; and
(5) Involvement of the public in the floodplain management and wetlands protection decisionmaking process.
(c) The responsible official representing the regional planning sponsor shall, to the fullest extent of his or her authority, ensure that any activities carried out under his or her plans and programs meet the criteria in § 725.7(a)(1) through (5).