20 CFR 403.115 - When does this part apply?
(a) Except as specified in paragraph (b) of this section, this part applies to any request in connection with any legal proceeding for SSA records or other information or for testimony from SSA or its employees. This part applies to requests for testimony related to SSA's functions or to any information or record created or acquired by SSA as a result of the discharge of its official duties.
(b) This part does not apply to requests for testimony -
(1) In an SSA administrative proceeding;
(2) In a legal proceeding to which SSA is a party (“SSA” here includes the Commissioner and any employee acting in his or her official capacity);
(3) From the United States Department of Justice;
(4) In a criminal proceeding in which the United States is a party;
(5) In a legal proceeding initiated by state or local authorities arising from an investigation or audit initiated by, or conducted in cooperation with, SSA's Office of the Inspector General;
(6) From either house of Congress;
(7) In a law enforcement proceeding related to threats or acts against SSA, its employees, or its operations (“SSA” here includes the Commissioner and any employee acting in his or her official capacity); or
(8) Where Federal law or regulations expressly require a Federal employee to provide testimony.