20 CFR 725.410 - Submission of additional evidence.
(a) After the district director completes the development of medical evidence under § 725.405 of this part, including the complete pulmonary evaluation authorized by § 725.406, and receives the responses and evidence submitted pursuant to § 725.408, he shall issue a schedule for the submission of additional evidence. The schedule shall contain the following information:
(1) If the claim was filed by, or on behalf of, a miner, the schedule shall contain a summary of the complete pulmonary evaluation administered pursuant to § 725.406. If the claim was filed by, or on behalf of, a survivor, the schedule shall contain a summary of any medical evidence developed by the district director pursuant to § 725.405(c).
(2) The schedule shall contain the district director's preliminary analysis of the medical evidence. If the district director believes that the evidence fails to establish any necessary element of entitlement, he shall inform the claimant of the element of entitlement not established and the reasons for his conclusions and advise the claimant that, unless he submits additional evidence, the district director will issue a proposed decision and order denying the claim.
(3) The schedule shall contain the district director's designation of a responsible operator liable for the payment of benefits. In the event that the district director has designated as the responsible operator an employer other than the employer who last employed the claimant as a miner, the district director shall include, with the schedule, a copy of the statements required by § 725.495(d) of this part. The district director may, in his discretion, dismiss as parties any of the operators notified of their potential liability pursuant to § 725.407. If the district director thereafter determines that the participation of a party dismissed pursuant to this section is required, he may once again notify the operator in accordance with § 725.407(d).
(4) The schedule shall notify the claimant and the designated responsible operator that they have the right to obtain further adjudication of the claim in accordance with this subpart, and that they have the right to submit additional evidence in accordance with this subpart. The schedule shall also notify the claimant that he has the right to obtain representation, under the terms set forth in subpart D, in order to assist him. In a case in which the district director has designated a responsible operator pursuant to paragraph (a)(3), the schedule shall further notify the claimant that if the operator fails to accept the claimant's entitlement to benefits within the time limit provided by § 725.412, the cost of obtaining additional medical and other necessary evidence, along with a reasonable attorney's fee, shall be reimbursed by the responsible operator in the event that the claimant establishes his entitlement to benefits payable by that operator. In a case in which there is no operator liable for the payment of benefits, the schedule shall notify the claimant that the cost of obtaining additional medical and other necessary evidence, along with a reasonable attorney's fee, shall be reimbursed by the fund.
(b) The schedule shall allow all parties not less than 60 days within which to submit additional evidence, including evidence relevant to the claimant's eligibility for benefits and evidence relevant to the liability of the designated responsible operator, and shall provide not less than an additional 30 days within which the parties may respond to evidence submitted by other parties. Any such evidence must meet the requirements set forth in § 725.414 in order to be admitted into the record.
(c) The district director shall serve a copy of the schedule, together with a copy of all of the evidence developed, on the claimant, the designated responsible operator, and all other operators which received notification pursuant to § 725.407. The schedule shall be served on each party by certified mail.
Title 20 published on 20-Apr-2017 03:33
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 20 CFR Part 725 after this date.
- 20 CFR 725.421 — Referral of a Claim to the Office of Administrative Law Judges.
- 20 CFR 725.414 — Development of Evidence.
- 20 CFR 725.407 — Identification and Notification of Responsible Operator.
- 20 CFR 725.416 — Conferences.
- 20 CFR 725.367 — Payment of a Claimant's Attorney's Fee by Responsible Operator or Fund.
- 20 CFR 725.495 — Criteria for Determining a Responsible Operator.
- 20 CFR 725.415 — Action by the District Director After Development of Evidence.
- 20 CFR 725.418 — Proposed Decision and Order.
- 20 CFR 725.411 — Initial Adjudication in Trust Fund Cases.
- 20 CFR 725.412 — Operator's Response.
- 20 CFR 725.417 — Action at the Conclusion of Conference.