20 CFR § 801.2 - Definitions and use of terms.
(a) For purposes of this chapter, except where the content clearly indicates otherwise, the following definitions apply:
(2) Board means the Benefits Review Board established by section 21 of the LHWCA (33 U.S.C. 921) as described in § 801.101, and as provided in this part and Secretary of Labor's Order No. 38-72 (38 FR 90). Mention in these regulations of the “permanent Board” refers to the five permanent Board members only.
(4) Secretary means the Secretary of Labor.
(5) Department means the Department of Labor.
(6) Judge means an administrative law judge appointed as provided in 5 U.S.C. 3105 and subpart B of 5 CFR part 930, who is qualified to preside at hearings under 5 U.S.C. 557 and is empowered by the Secretary to conduct formal hearings whenever necessary in respect of any claim for benefits or compensation arising under the Acts.
(7) Chief Administrative Law Judge means the Chief Administrative Law Judge of the Department of Labor.
(8) Director means the Director of the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs of the Department of Labor (hereinafter OWCP).
(9) Deputy commissioner means a person appointed as provided in sections 39 and 40 of the LHWCA or his designee, authorized by the Director to make decisions and orders in respect to claims arising under the Acts.
(10) Party or Party in Interest means the Secretary or his designee and any person or business entity directly affected by the decision or order from which an appeal to the Board is taken.
(11) Day means calendar day.
(12) Member means a member of the Benefits Review Board. Unless specifically stated otherwise, the word “member” shall apply to permanent, temporary and interim members. Permanent Board members are officially entitled Administrative Appeals Judges. Temporary and interim Board members are designated as Acting Administrative Appeals Judges.
(b) The definitions contained in this part shall not be considered to derogate from the definitions of terms in the respective Acts.
(c) The definitions pertaining to the Acts contained in the several parts of chapter VI of this title 20 shall be applicable to this chapter as is appropriate.