22 CFR 203.3 - U.S. PVO conditions of registration.
There are eight Conditions of Registration for U.S. organizations. The first four Conditions relate to whether an organization meets the definition of a U.S. PVO, as set forth in § 203.2 (p), while the last four Conditions establish standards by which the U.S. PVO is evaluated. An applicant must be registered with USAID as a U.S. PVO if USAID finds that the applicant has satisfied all of the following Conditions:
(a) Condition No. 1 (U.S. based). Is U.S. based in that it:
(1) Is organized under the laws of the United States; and
(2) Has its headquarters in the United States.
(b) Condition No. 2 (Private). Is a nongovernmental organization (NGO) and solicits and receives cash contributions from the U.S. general public.
(c) Condition No. 3 (Voluntary). Is a charitable organization in that it:
(1) Is nonprofit and exempt from Federal income taxes under Section 501(C)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code; and
(2) Is not a university, college, accredited degree-granting institution of education, private foundation, hospital, organization established by a major political party in the United States, organization established, funded and audited by the U.S. Congress, organization engaged exclusively in research or scientific activities, church, synagogue, mosque or other similar entity organized primarily for religious purposes.
(d) Condition No. 4 (Overseas Program Activities). Conducts, or anticipates conducting, overseas program activities that are consistent with the general purposes of the Foreign Assistance Act and/or Public Law 480.
(e) Condition No. 5 (Board of Directors). Has a governing body:
(1) That meets at least annually;
(2) Whose members do not receive any form of income for serving on the board; and
(3) Whose majority is not composed of the PVO's officers or staff members.
(f) Condition No. 6 (Financial Viability). That it:
(1) Accounts for its funds in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP);
(2) Has a sound financial position;
(3) Provides its financial statements to the public upon request; and
(4) Has been incorporated for not less than 18 months.
(g) Condition No. 7 (Program Activities vs. Supporting Services). That it:
(1) Expends and distributes its funds in accordance with the annual report of program activities;
(2) Does not expend more than 40 percent of total expenses on supporting services.
(3) In order to maintain its registration, conducts international program activities within the last three years. For example, if a U.S. PVO did not have any international activities for 2004, the current year, or 2003, but did have activities in 2002, then it would remain registered. However, if it did not have any international activities in 2005, USAID would remove it from the Registry in 2006 because for the previous three years (2003, 2004, 2005), it did not conduct any international activities.
(h) Condition No. 8 (General Eligibility). It is not:
(1) Suspended or debarred by an agency of the U.S. Government;
(2) Designated as a foreign terrorist organization by the Secretary of State, pursuant to Section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended; or
(3) The subject of a decision by the Department of State to the effect that registration or a financial relationship between USAID and the organization is contrary to the national defense, national security, or foreign policy interests of the United States.