23 CFR 450.336 - Self-certifications and Federal certifications.
(a) For all MPAs, concurrent with the submittal of the entire proposed TIP to the FHWA and the FTA as part of the STIP approval, the State and the MPO shall certify at least every 4 years that the metropolitan transportation planning process is being carried out in accordance with all applicable requirements including:
(4) 49 U.S.C. 5332, prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, or age in employment or business opportunity;
(8) The Older Americans Act, as amended ( 42 U.S.C. 6101), prohibiting discrimination on the basis of age in programs or activities receiving Federal financial assistance;
(9) Section 324 of title 23 U.S.C. regarding the prohibition of discrimination based on gender; and
(b) In TMAs, the FHWA and the FTA jointly shall review and evaluate the transportation planning process for each TMA no less than once every 4 years to determine if the process meets the requirements of applicable provisions of Federal law and this subpart.
(1) After review and evaluation of the TMA planning process, the FHWA and FTA shall take one of the following actions:
(i) If the process meets the requirements of this part and the MPO(s) and the Governor have approved a TIP, jointly certify the transportation planning process;
(ii) If the process substantially meets the requirements of this part and the MPO(s) and the Governor have approved a TIP, jointly certify the transportation planning process subject to certain specified corrective actions being taken; or
(iii) If the process does not meet the requirements of this part, jointly certify the planning process as the basis for approval of only those categories of programs or projects that the FHWA and the FTA jointly determine, subject to certain specified corrective actions being taken.
(2) If, upon the review and evaluation conducted under paragraph (b)(1)(iii) of this section, the FHWA and the FTA do not certify the transportation planning process in a TMA, the Secretary may withhold up to 20 percent of the funds attributable to the metropolitan planning area of the MPO(s) for projects funded under title 23 U.S.C. and title 49 U.S.C. Chapter 53 in addition to corrective actions and funding restrictions. The withheld funds shall be restored to the MPA when the metropolitan transportation planning process is certified by the FHWA and FTA, unless the funds have lapsed.
(3) A certification of the TMA planning process will remain in effect for 4 years unless a new certification determination is made sooner by the FHWA and the FTA or a shorter term is specified in the certification report.
(4) In conducting a certification review, the FHWA and the FTA shall provide opportunities for public involvement within the metropolitan planning area under review. The FHWA and the FTA shall consider the public input received in arriving at a decision on a certification action.
(5) The FHWA and the FTA shall notify the MPO(s), the State(s), and public transportation operator(s) of the actions taken under paragraphs (b)(1) and (b)(2) of this section. The FHWA and the FTA will update the certification status of the TMA when evidence of satisfactory completion of a corrective action(s) is provided to the FHWA and the FTA.
Title 23 published on 04-Apr-2017 04:06
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 23 CFR Part 450 after this date.