23 CFR 660.117 - Funding, records and accounting.
(a) The Federal share of funding for eligible FH projects may be any amount up to and including 100 percent. A cooperator may participate in the cost of project development and construction, but participation shall not be required.
(b) Funds for FHs may be used for:
(2) Federal Lands Highway research;
(3) Preliminary and construction engineering; and
(c) Funds for FHs may be made available for the following transportation-related improvement purposes which are generally part of a transportation construction project:
(1) Transportation planning for tourism and recreational travel;
(2) Adjacent vehicular parking areas;
(3) Interpretive signage;
(4) Acquisition of necessary scenic easements and scenic or historic sites;
(5) Provisions for pedestrians and bicycles;
(6) Construction and reconstruction of roadside rest areas including sanitary and water facilities; and
(7) Other appropriate public road facilities as approved by the FHWA.
(d) Use of FH funds for right-of-way acquisition shall be subject to specific approval by the FHWA.
(f) Funds provided to the FHWA by a cooperator should be received in advance of construction procurement unless otherwise specified in a project agreement.