24 CFR 280.45 - Sales contract and downpayment requirements.
(a) Sales contract. The recipient and each family purchasing a home constructed or substantially rehabilitated under the program must execute a sales contract. The sales contract shall contain appropriate terms and conditions covering the purchase of the home and must contain:
(1) The downpayment provisions described in paragraph (b) of this section;
(2) The repayment provisions described in § 280.55 of this part.
(3) Such other terms and conditions as HUD may require.
(b) Downpayment. Each family purchasing a home constructed or substantially rehabilitated under the program must provide a downpayment. A governmental entity or instrumentality may not provide funds for the family's downpayment.
(1) Amount. The amount of the downpayment includes all cash contributions made by the family (e.g., contributions for settlement and closing costs). The total amount of the downpayment must be equal to 10 percent of the sales price of the home except:
(i) The recipient may require a downpayment that is greater than 10 percent of the sales price of the home, if the recipient has determined that a higher downpayment is appropriate.
(ii) The recipient may require a downpayment that is less than 10 percent of the sales price of the home, if the first mortgage on the home is to be held by a State or a unit of general local government under a home loan program provided by the State or unit of general local government, and the program provides for a lower downpayment.
(2) Date of downpayment. The downpayment must be made on the date required by the recipient. Under § 280.35, however, no construction or rehabilitation may be begun until at least 25 percent of the homes constructed or substantially rehabilitated under the program are contracted for sale to purchasers who intend to live in the homes and the downpayments are made.
(3) Interest. The recipient shall deposit the downpayment in an account with a federally insured bank, savings and loan institution or credit union. The recipient shall pay interest on the downpayment to the family from the date that downpayment is made through the date of settlement, at the actual rate of interest earned on the account. Under no circumstances may the interest rate paid to the family be lower than the lowest passbook rate of interest paid by a federally insured bank, savings and loan institution or credit union conducting business within the State in which the program is located.