24 CFR § 5.356 - Housing programs: Pet rule violation procedures.
(a) Notice of pet rule violation. If a project owner determines on the basis of objective facts, supported by written statements, that a pet owner has violated a rule governing the owning or keeping of pets; the project owner may serve a written notice of pet rule violation on the pet owner in accordance with § 5.353(f)(1)(i) or (ii). The notice of pet rule violation must:
(1) Contain a brief statement of the factual basis for the determination and the pet rule or rules alleged to be violated;
(2) State that the pet owner has 10 days from the effective date of service of the notice to correct the violation (including, in appropriate circumstances, removal of the pet) or to make a written request for a meeting to discuss the violation;
(3) State that the pet owner is entitled to be accompanied by another person of his or her choice at the meeting; and
(1) Pet rule violation meeting. If the pet owner makes a timely request for a meeting to discuss an alleged pet rule violation, the project owner shall establish a mutually agreeable time and place for the meeting but no later than 15 days from the effective date of service of the notice of pet rule violation (unless the project owner agrees to a later date). At the pet rule violation meeting, the pet owner and project owner shall discuss any alleged pet rule violation and attempt to correct it. The project owner may, as a result of the meeting, give the pet owner additional time to correct the violation.
(2) Notice for pet removal. If the pet owner and project owner are unable to resolve the pet rule violation at the pet rule violation meeting, or if the project owner determines that the pet owner has failed to correct the pet rule violation within any additional time provided for this purpose under paragraph (b)(1) of this section, the project owner may serve a written notice on the pet owner in accordance with § 5.353(f)(1) (i) or (ii) (or at the meeting, if appropriate), requiring the pet owner to remove the pet. The notice must:
(i) Contain a brief statement of the factual basis for the determination and the pet rule or rules that have been violated;
(ii) State that the pet owner must remove the pet within 10 days of the effective date of service of the notice of pet removal (or the meeting, if notice is served at the meeting); and
(iii) State that failure to remove the pet may result in initiation of procedures to terminate the pet owner's tenancy.
(c) Initiation of procedures to remove a pet or terminate the pet owner's tenancy.
(i) The pet owner has failed to remove the pet or correct a pet rule violation within the applicable time period specified in this section (including any additional time permitted by the owner); and
(ii) The pet rule violation is sufficient to begin procedures to terminate the pet owner's tenancy under the terms of the lease and applicable regulations.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.