24 CFR 5.657 - Section 8 project-based assistance programs: Reexamination of family income and composition.
(a) Applicability. This section states requirements for reexamination of family income and composition in the Section 8 project-based assistance programs, except for the moderate rehabilitation and the project-based certificate or voucher programs.
(b) Regular reexamination. The owner must conduct a reexamination and redetermination of family income and composition at least annually.
(c) Interim reexaminations. A family may request an interim reexamination of family income because of any changes since the last examination. The owner must make the interim reexamination within a reasonable time after the family request. The owner may adopt policies prescribing when and under what conditions the family must report a change in family income or composition.
(d) Streamlined income determination. For any family member with a fixed source of income, an owner may elect to determine that family member's income, as required by paragraph (b) of this section, by means of a streamlined income determination. A streamlined income determination must be conducted by applying, for each fixed-income source, the verified cost of living adjustment (COLA) or current rate of interest to the previously verified or adjusted income amount.
(1) “Family member with a fixed source of income” is defined as a family member whose income includes periodic payments at reasonably predictable levels from one or more of the following sources:
(i) Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, Supplemental Disability Insurance;
(ii) Federal, state, local, or private pension plans;
(iii) Annuities or other retirement benefit programs, insurance policies, disability or death benefits, or other similar types of periodic receipts; or
(iv) Any other source of income subject to adjustment by a verifiable COLA or current rate of interest.
(2) An owner must use a COLA or current rate of interest specific to the fixed source of income in order to adjust the income amount. The owner must verify the appropriate COLA or current rate of interest from a public source or through tenant-provided, third party-generated documentation. If no such verification is available, then the owner must obtain third-party verification of income amounts in order to calculate the change in income for the source.
(3) For any family member whose income is determined pursuant to a streamlined income determination, an owner must obtain third-party verification of all fixed-income amounts every 3 years. Other income for each family member must be determined pursuant to paragraph (b) of this section.
Title 24 published on 2015-04-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 24 CFR Part 5 after this date.
- 24 CFR 884.218 — Reexamination of Family Income and Composition.
- 24 CFR 886.124 — Reexamination of Family Income and Composition.
- 24 CFR 880.603 — Selection and Admission of Assisted Tenants.
- 24 CFR 891.410 — Selection and Admission of Tenants.
- 24 CFR 886.324 — Reexamination of Family Income and Composition.