24 CFR 81.77 - Requests for GSE information on behalf of Congress, the Comptroller General, a subpoena, or other legal process.
(a) General. With respect to information submitted by or relating to the GSEs, nothing in this subpart F may be construed to grant authority to the Secretary under FHEFSSA to withhold any information from or to prohibit the disclosure of any information to the following persons or entities:
(1) Either House of Congress or, to the extent of matters within its jurisdiction, any committee or subcommittee thereof, or any joint committee of Congress or subcommittee of any such joint committee;
(2) The Comptroller General, or any of the Comptroller General's authorized representatives, in the course of the performance of the duties of the General Accounting Office;
(3) A court of competent jurisdiction pursuant to a subpoena; or
(4) As otherwise compelled by law.
(b) Notice of proprietary or confidential nature of GSE information. (1) In releasing data or information in response to a request as set out in paragraph (a) of this section, the Secretary will, where applicable, include a statement with the data or information to the effect that:
(i) The GSE regards the data or information as proprietary information and/or confidential business information;
(ii) Public disclosure of the data or information may cause competitive harm to the GSE; and
(iii) The Secretary has determined that the data or information is proprietary information and/or confidential business information.
(2) To the extent practicable, the Secretary will provide notice to the GSE after a request from the persons or entities described in paragraphs (a)(1)-(4) of this section for proprietary information or confidential business information is received and before the data or information is provided in response to the request.
(c) Procedures for requests pursuant to subpoena or other legal process. The procedures in 24 CFR 15.71-15.74 shall be followed when a subpoena, order, or other demand of a court or other authority is issued for the production or disclosure of any GSE data or information that:
(1) Is contained in HUD's files;
(2) Relates to material contained in HUD's files; or
(3) Was acquired by any person while such person was an employee of HUD, as a part of the performance of the employee's official duties or because of the employee's official status.
(d) Requests pursuant to subpoena or other legal process not served on HUD. If an individual who is not a HUD employee or an entity other than HUD is served with a subpoena, order, or other demand of a court or authority for the production or disclosure of HUD data or information relating to a GSE and such data or information may not be disclosed to the public under this subpart or 24 CFR part 15, such individual or entity shall comply with 24 CFR 15.71-15.74 as if the individual or entity is a HUD employee, including immediately notifying HUD in accordance with the procedures set forth in 24 CFR 15.73(a).
(e) Reservation of additional actions. Nothing in this section precludes further action by the Secretary, in his or her discretion, to protect data or information submitted by a GSE from unwarranted disclosure in appropriate circumstances.