24 CFR § 972.139 - HUD actions with respect to required conversions.
(a) HUD will take appropriate steps to ensure that distressed developments subject to this subpart are properly identified and converted. If a PHA fails to properly identify a development for required conversion, or does not submit a conversion plan for a development in the PHA Annual Plan following the Annual Plan in which the development was identified as subject to required conversion, HUD will take the actions described in paragraph (b) of this section, and may also take any or all of the actions described in paragraph (c) of this section.
(b) If a PHA fails to take the conversion activities described in paragraph (a) of this section, HUD will:
(1) Disqualify the PHA from HUD funding competitions; and
(2) Direct the PHA to cease additional spending in connection with a development that meets, or is likely to meet the statutory criteria, except to the extent that failure to expend such amounts would endanger health or safety.
(c) If a PHA fails to take the conversion activities described in paragraph (a) of this section, HUD may also take any or all of the following actions:
(1) Identify developments that fall within the statutory criteria where the PHA has failed to do so properly;
(2) Take appropriate actions to ensure the conversion of developments where the PHA has failed to adequately develop or implement a conversion plan;
(3) Require the PHA to revise the conversion plan, or prohibit conversion, where HUD has determined that the PHA has erroneously identified a development as being subject to the requirements of this section;
(4) Authorize or direct the transfer of capital or operating funds committed to or on behalf of the development (including comprehensive improvement assistance, comprehensive grant or Capital Fund amounts attributable to the development's share of funds under the formula, and major reconstruction of obsolete projects funds) to tenant-based assistance or appropriate site revitalization for the agency; and
(5) Any other action that HUD determines appropriate and has the authority to undertake.