24 CFR 982.202 - How applicants are selected: General requirements.
(a) Waiting list admissions and special admissions. The PHA may admit an applicant for participation in the program either:
(1) As a special admission (see § 982.203).
(2) As a waiting list admission (see § 982.204 through § 982.210).
(b) Prohibited admission criteria -
(1) Where family lives. Admission to the program may not be based on where the family lives before admission to the program. However, the PHA may target assistance for families who live in public housing or other federally assisted housing, or may adopt a residency preference (see § 982.207).
(2) Where family will live. Admission to the program may not be based on where the family will live with assistance under the program.
(3) Family characteristics. The PHA preference system may provide a preference for admission of families with certain characteristics from the PHA waiting list. However, admission to the program may not be based on:
(i) Discrimination because members of the family are unwed parents, recipients of public assistance, or children born out of wedlock;
(ii) Discrimination because a family includes children (familial status discrimination);
(iii) Discrimination because of age, race, color, religion, sex, or national origin;
(iv) Discrimination because of disability; or
(v) Whether a family decides to participate in a family self-sufficiency program.
(c) Applicant status. An applicant does not have any right or entitlement to be listed on the PHA waiting list, to any particular position on the waiting list, or to admission to the programs. The preceding sentence does not affect or prejudice any right, independent of this rule, to bring a judicial action challenging an PHA violation of a constitutional or statutory requirement.
(d) Admission policy. The PHA must admit applicants for participation in accordance with HUD regulations and other requirements, including, but not limited to, 24 CFR part 5, subpart L, protection for victims of domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking, and with PHA policies stated in the PHA administrative plan and the PHA plan. The PHA admission policy must state the system of admission preferences that the PHA uses to select applicants from the waiting list, including any residency preference or other local preference.
Title 24 published on 2015-04-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 24 CFR Part 982 after this date.