25 CFR 700.563 - Statutory restrictions from 18 U.S.C. 207, which are applicable to former Government employees.
(a) Restrictions applicable to all former officers and employees -
(1) Permanent bar. A former Government employee is permanently barred from serving as agent or attorney for anyone other than the United States before any Government office or agency on any particular matter involving specific parties in which the former officer or employee had participated personally and substantially while with the Government.
(2) Two year bar. A restriction similar to the one summarized above prevents a former employee for two years from representational activities on all particular matters which were actually pending under the former employee's “official responsibility” during the one-year period prior to the termination of such responsibility.
(b) Restrictions applicable only to “senior employees.” (1) Members of the Senior Executive Service are considered senior employees.
(2) Two-year ban on assisting in representation by personal presence. A former senior employee may not assist in the representation of another person by personal presence at an appearance before the Government on any particular matter in which the former employee personally and substantially participated while with the Government.
(3) One-year on attempt to influence former agency. A former senior employee may not represent another person or himself in attempting to influence his own former agency on a matter pending before, or of substantial interest to, such agency. Certain communications are exempted from this provision. These include communications by former senior employees who are employed by State or local governments or by certain educational or medical institutions, other exempt communications are those that are purely social or informational, communications on matters that are personal, including any expression of personal views where the former employee has no pecuniary interest, and response to a former agency's requests for information.
(c) Implementing regulations.
(1) Detailed regulations implementing this law have been published by the Director, Office of Government Ethics (see 5 CFR part 737). The Designated Agency Ethics Official should be consulted for any additional information.